Youth Radio Trainer job in Kenya – HIS
Closing date: 30 Sep 2012
Job Title: Youth Radio Trainer, Dadaab Humanitarian Information Service (HIS)
The project will also assist the humanitarian sector to be more effective by enabling communities to better understand aid operations, access relief services and communicate with humanitarian agencies.
Scope of Work:
- The Somalia Youth Radio Trainer (SYRT) will play a vital role in leading on the implementation of training and mentoring of youth groups from the host and refugee communities who will become the staff of the community radio station run by Star FM in Dadaab. Specifically, responsibilities will include:
- Assisted by the Project Director, design, implement and oversee all aspects of a regular training and mentoring program for local Somali-speaking reporters and correspondents, in coordination with local partners.
- Work with Star FM to support the production of high quality humanitarian radio programs covering key themes, including but not limited to services available to affected communities, health, registration, or protection issues.
- In coordination with the Humanitarian Liaison Officer (HLO), liaise with humanitarian agencies in the production of humanitarian news and information to disseminate important messages, news and information for affected communities (e.g. regarding food/water/shelter material distribution points, medical facilities and mobile media clinics, registration processes, announcements, etc.).
- In coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, work with local reporters, correspondents, and other relevant staff to design and implement innovative ways to ensure that feedback from the community is incorporated into ongoing program design.
- Compile regular and timely updates of the HIS programs in coordination with the HLO.
- Ensure timely reporting of activities to HQ.
- Produce regular multimedia materials (i.e. blog posts, photos, podcast…) documenting the life of the project for external audiences, as required.
- Liaise with international/local media and promote Internews’ work, as required.
- Any other duties as required.
- Fluency in spoken and written Somali and English; knowledge of Swahili an asset.
- Experience in facilitation and training using hands-on participatory approaches.
- Experience in broadcast training and mentoring, preferably in relation to humanitarian issues.
- Proficient in use of digital field recording equipment, basic studio equipment and software, such as Adobe Audition, CoolEdit Pro and/or similar packages.
- Experience living and working in challenging environments, including humanitarian responses, and/or developing countries and/or conflict zones.
- Good knowledge of the mandates and modalities of the international humanitarian sector including the UN cluster system.
- An understanding of the vision/mission, core values and objectives of Internews.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful, and, at times, dangerous situations under difficult living conditions with respect for basic security rules.
- Psychological resilience and a sense of humor.
- Relevant university degree.
- Knowledge of citizen journalism and familiarity with ways to leverage social media will be an asset, as will knowledge and experience of mapping and crowd-sourcing and mobile technology software.
In August 2011, Internews led a joint assessment of the communication and information needs of refugees in the Dadaab camps that found that serious communication gaps between the humanitarian sector and refugees are increasing refugee suffering and putting lives at risk.
Internews is an international non-profit organization whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect and the means to make their voices heard.
Please send your application file (resume in English of no more than 3 pages, motivation letter and the names and contacts of three referees) to email@example.com
41 total views, 1 today