Terms of Reference for Consultancy: Web Graphic Designer for AVU Corporate Website
The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by fourteen (14) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Mozambique, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger, and South Sudan. The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
The AVU Business Plan 2009-2014 has two main thrusts:
(a) Educational and support services provided on a fee basis; and
(b) Not-for-profit development services.
The, Not-for-profit development services, aims at building the capacity of AVU Partner Institutions (PIs) with an objective of increasing access to quality education through the following activities: updating and developing content; Open Educational Resources (OER) Development; AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP); set up/upgrade ODeL centers; developing professional networks through Communities of Practices; Research and Development; and Quality Evaluation and Benchmarking.
Some of the Not-for-profit development services were delivered from 2005 to 2011 through the AVU Multinational Project I, funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented in 10 African countries.
The AfDB is funding a second phase of the Multinational Project which will build on the first phase and will extend its benefits to more countries.
The overall objective of the AVU Multinational Project II is to strengthen the capacity of the AVU and a network of 27 institutions to deliver and manage quality ICT integrated education and training opportunities in 21 African countries.
The project has the following activities:
(1) Establishment of new Open Distance and eLearning (ODeL) Centers and/or upgrading of exiting AVU Learning Centers as well as Internet connectivity provision at AVU Partner Institutions;
(2) Development and/or improvement, and delivery of four ICT integrated Programs: AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP); Teacher Education (TE), Computer Science (CS), and Peace and Conflict Resolution;
(3) Gender Mainstreaming
(4) Research and Development;
(5) Promotion and development of Open Education Resources (OERs); and
(6) Enhancement of AVU Capacity .
The AVU Multinational Project II will be implemented in 27 AVU Partner Institutions in the following 21 countries: nine (9) Francophone African Countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal; four (4) Lusophone African Countries: Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau and Mozambique; and eight (8) Anglophone African Countries: Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sudan, and Tanzania.
The AVU launched its current corporate website www.avu.org, as well as its Virtual Classroom (based on Moodle) http://www.avu.org/virtualclass/ in 2010 and now wishes to update these to reflect the changes that have occurred since then, to modernize the portals, to reflect the AVU 15th year anniversary and to include current activities especially those related the Multinational Support Project Phase II. The Virtual Campus for Development and Peace (VCDP) Portal www.avu.org/vcdp will also be updated and a Community of Practice Portal implemented.
To this end, the AVU requires a qualified person to design the graphics for the portals.
The image below gives a high-level graphical view of the AVU current portals:
B. Scope of Work for the Consultant
The Web Graphic Designer will be a member of a website development team that reports to the Implementation Coordinator.
S/he will be expected to collaborate with and support other team members in order to achieve the overall team / initiative goal of developing a set of world class web applications that meet the AVU’s requirements and expectations.
- Review and provide feedback on the initiative’s Scope & Approach and Functional Design documents
- Provide a detailed plan and effort estimation for the graphic design work required for the websites
- Design at least three options for a common layout and look-and-feel for the corporate website
- Develop mockups / prototypes for the three design options and present them to AVU management for review
- Develop mockups / prototypes for the design options for a Mobile-friendly versions of the websites and present them to AVU management for review
- Lead the implementation of the selected design option, including the design, development and validation of all required CSS files
- Participate in the design, development and implementation of the Content Management System (CMS) and ensure that all graphic design materials used in the website are integrated into the CMS.
- Create, identify for purchase or select and enhance, as needed, all images for the website
- Design and develop all icons and graphic art for the website
- Resolve graphic design-related defects detected during the testing phase and implement changes / enhancements as requested
- Ensure compatibility of graphic elements across multiple mobile platforms , including but not limited to: Android, iOS, Windows Phone and Mobile web
- Actively participate in and contribute to all team meetings and working sessions
- Provide a weekly status report covering all areas of responsibility to the supervisor
- A detailed plan and effort estimation for the graphic design work required for the website
- Designs and mockups / prototypes for at least three options for a common layout and look and feel for the websites
- Fully functioning, validated CSS files
- A fully functioning, validated CMS system with all graphic design materials integrated into it
- All images, icons and graphic art requested and approved for the three websites
- Weekly status reports
C. Qualifications of the Consultant
- University degree with a major in graphic arts, graphic design, computer science or information systems
- Excellent graphic / artistic / design skills
- Good understanding of interactive design principles, usability, and online branding issues
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in web graphic design
- Strong skills in web and graphic design software such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Illustrator, Flash, and QuarkXpress
- Solid experience with Content Management Systems (CMSs)
- Experiencing designing for mobile environments
- Experience or familiarity with Moodle and/or DSpace would be an advantage
- Open, cooperative team player
D. Modalities of Work
The consultant must be available on a full time basis for the duration of the project.
The consultant’s detailed work schedule will be determined during the planning process.
The consultant will report to the Website Technical Implementation Coordinator
How to Apply
The African Virtual University is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate will be appointed on an initial contract of three months.
Application must include an application letter and detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email and residential addresses; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
The successful candidate will be based at the AVU Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The closing date for this application is 14th December 2012
Disclaimer: At Jobskenyan.com, we take necessary precaution to verify the authenticity of our job adverts, we also encourage our users to be more careful when dealing with third party sites or clients who advertise on our platform, we're in no way affiliated to any of the companies.
With thousands of Jobs posted on our platform Weekly, we are indeed No 1 for authentic Jobs but we can only do our best. Jobskenyan advises you to never pay any amount of money to any recruiter or agent for job aid. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. BE CAREFUL!!!
85 total views, 1 today