Vacancy For A Program Officer in Kenya
Program Officer – MEAL
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Expected start date: As Soon as Possible
who, together with us and many others, wants to work towards creating a just world without poverty.
Oxfam Novib (ON) is part of Oxfam International (OI), a world-wide confederation of 15 organizations working together in 92 countries to find lasting solutions to poverty and injustice.
Oxfam’s vision is a just world without poverty and is driven by a conviction that people are capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own, provided they are given the chance to do so.
We respond to humanitarian needs in more than 120 countries and work with hundreds of thousands of supporters and volunteers who make up our international network of concern, action and solidarity.
We support local projects in developing countries, and lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people, and to increase our impact on development and humanitarian issues.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Programme Officer (MEAL) will support Oxfam and its partners in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning.
The job will support implementation of MEAL systems for all country programme pillars (i.e. Education, Conflict Management and Peace building, Policy governance and Advocacy and Humanitarian response).
The primary responsibility of the role will be to establish then manage the MEAL system and ensure programme quality in areas.
The post holder will develop relevant data collection and reporting tools, to ensure that there is standardization of monitoring and evaluation activities.
Candidate’s demonstrable skills and experience in either or all of the above sectors are encouraged to apply.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- To provide technical input as required for the design of the programme(s) and identify and participate in partner appraisal and selection processes.
- To initiate the planning and implementation of Oxfam Novib MEAL activities.
- Conduct interviews (face-to-face and telephone) with beneficiaries to seek feedback on satisfaction with the projects for alternative monitoring in limited access areas of Somalia
- Provide technical support to the partners in the monitoring and evaluation of the activities including regular field visits as security may allow..
- Maintains a complaints database and manage the complaints referral system
- Responsible for writing regular reports, documenting feedback received from beneficiaries and other stakeholders – highlighting positive and problem areas.
- To analyze collected data and make recommendations to Programme Team and MEAL Coordinator on project quality and desired improvement areas.
- To work with the Oxfam Novib Information officers and ensure that the (digital) archiving of the project activities is correctly done and maintained.
- To assist in the drafting of new country specific programme/project proposals;
- To maintain sound relationships with communities, partners and donors at operational level, including Oxfam International and other agencies
- To collect and present information in order to meet the donor requirements on reports, for the ON management and planning cycle and for any other demand for information.
- Assist in the Translation of interview questionnaires into Somali language.
- Compile monthly write-ups and reports tracking the progress of alternative monitoring system; including mobile phone complaints and beneficiary feedback system, staff mission trip
- Together with Oxfam and partner staff, develop appropriate and user friendly data collection tools against project indicators, leading on data collection, entry, analysis and report writing.
- Make programme recommendations to Programme Manager and partner staff on project quality and desired improvements based on monitoring data to enhance effectiveness of program implementation and steps needed to achieve desired outcomes.
- Ensure program implementation is in compliance with agreed-upon MEAL plans.
- Develop clear and user-friendly reporting formats in collaboration with program implementation units at different levels.
- Provide support in the preparation of reporting requirements including program updates, grant mid-year and annual reports, monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment reports.
- Support in documentation of impact through Case studies, Human Interest stories and Success stories to ensure evidence based decision making by teams.
- Monitor status and progress of program implementation based on performance indicators and the MEAL Plan.
- Take responsibility for other MEAL related tasks assigned by line manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Project management, Disaster Management, Statistics or closely related fields, with specialized training in monitoring and evaluation, or a combined professional qualification and sound experience
- A minimum of 4 years of direct, “hands-on” working experience in building and operating monitoring and evaluation of projects/programs.
- Humanitarian programme experience with international NGOs or other international organizations as well as understanding local languages
- Experience data capturing for humanitarian work humanitarian work in the contexts that range from emergency to development.
- Extensive experience and recognized expertise in the full range of evaluation models and tools
- Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong Team working skills
- Flexibility in tasks undertaken and exposure of working in remote and insecure environments
- Ability to work under pressure, ability to prioritize and to meet deadline
- Good report writing skills, strong writing and communication skills and analytical abilities, particularly in the areas of learning, and capacity development/transfer.
- Excellent working knowledge of computers. Knowledge of Access databases, spreadsheet and SPSS will be an advantage.
- Able to take initiative and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in an effective, pro-active and timely manner.
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Oxfam
- Good appreciation of gender equality , social justice and HIV/AIDS issues
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action
- Knowledge of Oxfam approaches to accountability in humanitarian programmes
- Experience with the Somali context be an advantage
- Willingness to travel to insecure area of Somali as security permits
This position is offered for one year with a possibility for further renewal.
Applications (full curriculum vitae and motivation letter) to: [email protected]
Application deadline is Wednesday 24th October 2012; COB. ONLY short listed candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: At Jobskenyan.com, we take necessary precaution to verify the authenticity of our job adverts, we also encourage our users to be more careful when dealing with third party sites or clients who advertise on our platform, we're in no way affiliated to any of the companies.
With thousands of Jobs posted on our platform Weekly, we are indeed No 1 for authentic Jobs but we can only do our best. Jobskenyan advises you to never pay any amount of money to any recruiter or agent for job aid. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. BE CAREFUL!!!
51 total views, 1 today