UNOPS Recruits Finance Associate in Kenya
Position title:Finance Associate
Department/office: AFO, Kenya
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA-4
Duration: 6 Months
Application period: 10-Jul-2012 to 10-Aug-2012
Background Information – UNOPS
“UNOPS plays a critical role in providing management services for our life-saving, peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. I have seen many examples of how these activities help suffering people in troubled parts of the world.”
-Ban Ki-moon, United Nations Secretary-General
UNOPS mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness.
By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
UNOPS employs around 3,500 personnel annually and on behalf of its partners creates thousands more work opportunities in local communities. With its headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, a network of five regional offices and a further 20 operations and project centres, UNOPS oversees activities in more than 80 countries.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
Background Information – Kenya
Background Information – Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Manager, the Finance Associate provides leadership in execution of financial services in the Kenya Operation’s Centre ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with Project Managers and Project teams for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Treasury and payments functions
- Accounting and administrative support
- Financial reporting and control
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor.
- Processing of General Ledger Journal Entries (GLJEs).
- Verification of accountability documents and Processing of Accounts Payable Journal Vouchers (APJVs) relating to Operational Advances.
- Profiling and reporting on overdue Operational Advances.
- Monthly Suppliers reconciliations.
- Preparation of recurring, ad-hoc or special financial reports as required including but not limited to GLJEs processed but not posted, Over-due Vouchers not in pay-cycle and Receipts not vouchered.
- Finance Data Quality management
- Review of payment requests for completeness prior to processing, ensuring that documentation needed is complete and that all required procedures are fulfilled to enable the payment;
- Payment requests properly obligated and payment is in accordance with relevant UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations and procedures;
- Preparation of vouchers according to UN Financial Rules and Regulations after verification on accuracy of invoices and totals as well as calculations;
- Running the pay-cycle; Preparation of cash flow analysis;Preparation of Bank reconciliations;
- Frequent contact with the local bank to obtain information relevant in the management of the Bank accounts.
- Seeking clarification from Project Managers/Certifying Officers where discrepancies exist;Monitoring of payments and follow-up when problems arise;
- Establishment of petty cash accounts and other accounts receivable in accordance with the UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations;
- Maintenance of a payment schedule status system and filing of all financial documents;
- Support to the preparation of regular and ad-hoc expenditure schedules.
- Frequent contact with other finance staff in the organization in the preparation of payments, data reconciliation, client reporting, or audit activities.
- Preparation of periodic financial statements to funding sources and external clients in compliance with established reporting requirements.
- Reconciliation of expenditures recorded in ATLAS.
- Provision of scheduled and ad-hoc reports as needed including for Year-End close
- Training of colleagues upon requests from project managers, the supervisor and other finance officers in setting projects, budget revisions, troubleshooting and understanding of the processes on day to day financial transactions, reporting and other related tasks
- Synthesis of lessons learn and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Creativity and innovation
- Ability to learn and share knowledge acquired
- Ability to take initiative
- Results orientation/problem solving approach
- Strong communication skills
- Strong teamwork
- Client focus
- Technological awareness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to financial resources management, including screening and collecting documentation, financial data processing, filing, provision of information;
- Knowledge of ERP (PeopleSoft ATLAS) systems with ability to use Finance module in ATLAS is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with UNOPS Financial rules and regulations a strong asset;
- Microsoft Office with proficiency in Excel required.
- Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
- Demonstrated drive for continuous improvement And incorporation of lessons learned and best practices into business process routines
- Demonstration of professional behaviour and personal ethics, transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behaviour from colleagues in the workplace.
Minimum five years of working experience with progressively increasing responsibilities in finance, preferably with UN or other large international organizations/NGOs.
Bachelors degree in accounting or related studies. Additional years of experience preferably in combination with a relevant Diploma can substitute for the required of a bachelors degree.
Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of second UN working language (French) desirable.
- Accounting Certificate at least at intermediate level is an asset;
- Prince2 or similar project management certification an asset;
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration: six months (renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Disclaimer: At Jobskenyan.com, we take necessary precaution to verify the authenticity of our job adverts, we also encourage our users to be more careful when dealing with third party sites or clients who advertise on our platform, we're in no way affiliated to any of the companies.
With thousands of Jobs posted on our platform Weekly, we are indeed No 1 for authentic Jobs but we can only do our best. Jobskenyan advises you to never pay any amount of money to any recruiter or agent for job aid. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. BE CAREFUL!!!
89 total views, 2 today