Technical Officer Surveillance and Data Mgt Job Vacancy
Duty station:Nairobi, Kenya
Type of Position:Regional
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is one of the principal international non-profit organizations that is exclusively dedicated to and focused on fighting tuberculosis (TB) worldwide and to strengthening health systems against TB, globally and locally.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international center of expertise for TB control that stimulates effective, efficient and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals; this includes doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists.
We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of the second ‘killer’ infectious disease and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully driving back TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s we also share our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world.
We operate from the central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, regional offices and additional country offices worldwide.
Purpose of the job
KNCV primary activity is the building of capacity through the provision of technical assistance, operational research and training to the national TB control efforts at country and regional level. KNCV is in the process of decentralizing core activities from the central office in The Hague to the regional office in Nairobi.
- Advise on national TB control programs in the African region and their stakeholders on set-up, maintenance, and data use of routine electronic surveillance reporting and recording systems
- Advise on data management of large TB research projects; such as nationwide TB prevalence surveys and drug resistance surveys in the African region, in collaboration with KNCV epidemiologists
- Manage large databases by validation and basic analysis
- Build capacity on surveillance and data management by formal classroom teaching and on the job training; both to external partners and within KNCV
- Develop new projects and write grant proposals on surveillance and data management
- Contribute to publications and other presentations.
- Academic degree (MSc, MPH) in statistics, epidemiology or related field.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with management of large databases, such as Access.
- Knowledge of infectious diseases in Africa, preferably on tuberculosis.
- Experience with regular surveillance systems, preferably in tuberculosis
- Knowledge of and experience in training and capacity building.
- Demonstrated skills in software for research data analysis and statistical programs such as SPSS and/or STATA.
- Experience in developing and managing projects in coordination with Ministries of Health and international partners.
- Excellent oral and written English skills; other language skills are an advantage (e.g. French, or Portuguese).
- Sensitive to cultural differences and understanding the socio-economic, political and ethical issues surrounding public health.
- Ability to work pro-actively and work well in a team.
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
To apply for this position please send a cover letter, CV and names of three (3) references to; KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, Nairobi, Email: email@example.com under subject ‘TO Surveillance and Data management’ before 30th November 2012.
KNCV TB Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.
Apply before: Friday, November 30, 2012
33 total views, 1 today