Kakamega – 10
Eldoret – 10
Kisumu – 10
About Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies is a startup revolutionizing education across Africa with a truly unique business model. The company has launched a large-scale franchise-like network of ultra low-cost for-profit private primary schools across Africa.
Our schools profitably deliver high-quality education for less than $4 per child per month, enabling local school managers to operate their school businesses profitably, while creating a highly successful business at the central level.
We have launched 37 schools in Kenya, with approximately 35 more opening in January and plan to rapidly scale the Company to serve more than 1 million students across continents.
About this position
Bridge International Academies is looking for experienced and effective site foremen to provide daily supervision and guidance for construction activities in our school construction sites located in various parts of the country.
The individual must be very comfortable working in low-income communities inside the slums and should be able to handle the unique challenges of the construction process in these environments.
- The individual will be carrying on hands on, day-to-day supervision on-site.
- The task involves planning weekly work, organizing work teams, allocating work to teams and providing technical guidance for smooth progress and quality control.
- In addition to carrying out site work, the foreman shall be expected to provide clear and complete information from the Headquarters staff to the workmen and back. This means that he shall be in charge of implementing Headquarters decisions on the sites and for providing feedback information from the site back to Headquarters.
- Besides ensuring good quality and workmanship, the site foreman shall be in charge of labour selection, relations, work allocation and payments on the ground.
- The site foreman shall also be in charge of receiving materials, materials storage, and materials safety.
- An important part of the work shall be to keep, maintain and submit site records as required by the Company.
- Working in informal settlements can be very challenging and often requires many situational difficulties that arise as a result of working in these conditions. The individual will need to be comfortable being requested to re-programme their work, replace labour and/or review work processes at short notice in order to address unexpected site occurrences from time to time.
- This work often requires interacting with local youth, leaders, elders and chiefs in order to smoothen out any issues arising out of the community. Good relations with these groups shall be essential.
- Ensuring good workmanship and proper procedures are in use as prescribed
- Assessing labour requirements and sourcing for artisans and labourers within the school locality
- Receiving, managing and accounting for all materials once delivered on site
- Requesting and making labour payments including recording daily work sheets and payment records
- Planning daily work in accordance with the construction programme provided
- Completing daily site records on provided site book and work sheets
- Forecasting work requirements as is necessary fro smooth progress of work.
- Assisting in identifying unique site conditions that may require amendment of standard work plans and details
- Minimum of 10 years experience in site supervision on busy sites preferably in labour intensive projects
- Must have good knowledge of basic construction technology and practices. Formal artisan training will be an added advantage.
- Must be able to source labour locally and handle labour-related issues arising on site from time to time.
- Ability to handle payments on the ground, given the associated risk to personal safety.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills are required
- Good people management skills that result in timely meeting of deadlines
- Ability and willingness to accept instructions, accept criticism and positive feedback, while being very adaptable and flexible
In order to be considered for this position all candidates must register and upload their CV’s on our website at www.bridgeinternationalacademies.com