Number of Positions: 4
About Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies is a startup revolutionizing education across Africa with a truly unique business model. The company has launched a large-scale franchise-like network of ultra low-cost for-profit private primary schools across Africa.
Our schools profitably deliver high-quality education for less than $4 per child per month, enabling local school managers to operate their school businesses profitably, while creating a highly successful business at the central level.
We have launched our first twenty-six schools in Kenya, have eleven more opening in September 2011 and plan to rapidly scale the company to serve more than 1 million students across Africa.
About this position
Bridge International Academies is looking for an individual with a successful track record of processing and interviewing large numbers of applications for recruitment.
This position requires someone with high demonstrated energy levels, who is extremely motivated to succeed and is accountable for results.
This position reports to the Recruiting Officer (Schools) and the primary goal is to manage large scale recruitment drives for our schools which are located in the local income areas and/or informal settlements of Nairobi and beyond.
Because of the eventual size of our operations, the company will ultimately need to hire thousands of new teachers each year and hundreds of new school managers to manage this undertaking.
It is critical to our success to be able to design and manage streamlined selection, recruiting, and hiring processes to find the right people and to do so in a cost-effective manner. It is the role of the Recruiting Assistant to support this process whilst overseeing a small team of temporary workers.
Hiring responsibilities will include:
- Teachers & School Managers from the low income areas and/or informal settlements where our schools are launched
- As a lead up to the recruitment exercise, organizes meetings with the local community and identifies key people who will provide support in advocacy and sourcing for prospective candidates from the slums
- Directs and supervisors the temporary support personnel to ensure that the ‘call for interviews’ Bridge posters are strategically displayed in the communities.
- Designs leaflets and posters specifying recruitment dates and times and circulates to the community, chiefs, church leaders etc
- Identifies recruitment site and schedules mass screening and interview day(s). Keeps supervisor abreast of potential problem areas, identify and recommend solutions
- Preparing of materials needed for the recruitment process i.e. tests, writing materials, chairs, desks, tents etc in good time prior to the recruitment process
- Supervising of support staff during the recruitment process to maximize efficiency
- Assists in the recruitment of teachers and school managers, including keeping computerized roster of applications, evaluating candidate applications, administering exams, reviews and evaluates work of temporary contractors.
- Ensuring contracted teachers and school managers are issued with employment contracts and assisting them in the contract interpretation i.e. conditions of employment, working hours, benefits etc
- Assists in interpretation and processing of benefits/entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files
- Participates actively in the teacher and school manager forums together with School Operations’ teams
- Recommends any improvements to the recruitment process
- Prepares on own initiative, correspondence, reports, evaluations and justifications, as required, on general personnel issues related to teachers and school managers for improved human resource management by the department
- Minimum of 3-4 years experience with high volume screening and recruiting
- Diploma in either Human Resource Management, Administration, Social Sciences
- Computer skills in Microsoft Windows products including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interacts with and works well with others in various fast changing, environments/ situations including a strong sense of community networking and listening skills
- Effective problem solving skills; able to prioritize, manage time and orchestrate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Able to maintain self-confidence and high self esteem in tasks requiring prospecting for teacher and school manager candidates
- Able to effectively work both independently and in a team environment
- Able to spend a high percentage of time in the low income areas and/or informal settlements.
How to apply
Submit a cover letter, CV and view detailed job requisitions on the Careers page at www.bridgeinternationalacademies.com