Program Director Job In Kenya
The organisation seeks a dynamic, strategic leader for the position of Program Director a Program in Kenya.
The Kenya Program Director will lead the Kenya program team to support the government in developing and bringing to fruition the national program.
The Program Director will guide the Kenya team’s work with policymakers from Kenya’s Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health, experts at the Kenya Medical Research Institute, district-level government officials, and partner organizations.
The Program Director will have an unfailing commitment to ensuring that the organisation provides the technical assistance and support necessary for the accomplishment of program goals, and ultimate responsibility for the organization’s role in all activities necessary to reach the intended
This position requires significant leadership experience, cross-cultural awareness, strong problem-solving skills, flexibility, and excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Participate in high-level strategic discussions surrounding school health, working with national officials, and deworming in a global context
- Think critically about program costs, resource management, and personnel management to improve program efficiency and adapt program to new contexts over time
Relationship and Policy Management
- Act as the primary face of the organisation in Kenya, ensuring that the organisation is regarded as a reliable partner and team player.
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with high- and mid-level personnel from the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education and other key stakeholders including high-influence policymakers, NGO’s, funders, and other international actors.
- Communicate with policy and technical staff to ensure that the program is consistent with changes in the Kenyan policy environment and with other stakeholders.
- Support the design and implementation of the national program, collaborating with Kenyan government officials and other external stakeholders, to provide high quality and responsive technical support for program success.
- Manage key elements of the national program such as training, drug supply and monitoring and evaluation, and ensure all resources, personnel, and information are coordinated, established, and executed.
- Lead the Kenya team, comprised of policy, technical and operational staff, toward concrete deliverables amongst time pressures and capacity constraints while optimizing implementation and creating effective and positive team dynamics.
- Collaborate with the organisation global team members to share information, including adopting good practice from other programs and disseminating the outcomes of the Kenya program for continual learning.
Monitoring and Evaluation Management
- Oversee the utilization of existing program data and creation of implementation systems with an eye toward clear data collection, research-based program implementation, and program improvement.
Operations and Administration
- Be actively involved with the country office staff in personnel and program management including maintenance of basic HR records, financial management, and programmatic review.
- Responsible for recruitment of Kenya team personnel as needed.
- Ensure Kenya team maintains reliable systems of organization and communication.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in economics, public policy, health, or relevant social sciences; master’s degree or higher preferred.
- At least 8-10 years of experience working in a Project/Program Management or similar role in a public, nonprofit or private sector office
- Experience in implementation of large scale public health and/or education sector programs desired, school-based health preferred
- At least 5 years of experience engaging with Kenyan government programs and/or policy in some professional capacity, preferably in issues surrounding health or education
- Computer skills necessary include: thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet/Email
- Experience working on large scale distribution of goods and services in any sector desirable
Knowledge and Skills
- Leadership ability; strong critical thinking and judgment skills
- Clear understanding of the Kenyan working environment (culture, people, geography, etc.), ability to leverage that knowledge to help the team make good decisions about operations and program management
- High level of attention to detail and proven organization skills
- Effective communication, verbal and writing skills
- Familiarity with major actors in global public health and education, particularly school-based health preferred
- At least basic knowledge of strategies for addressing neglected tropical diseases
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Mature and professional composure
- Natural and comfortable leadership
- Highest level of honesty and integrity
- Openness to working in a flexible work environment with fast-evolving systems and procedures
- High level of initiative in improving the organization’s working environment
- Results-oriented to the point that person is willing to engage hands-on with duties of all variety
Applicants should email their applications attaching a detailed curriculum vitae and a letter indicating why they are interested in and qualified for the position and the names of three referees who can provide confidential assessment of their capabilities to a Search Committee.
All communications relating to applications for this position should be addressed to: email address: email@example.com.
Applications should be received by 14th December 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
On the subject matter of the email please indicate the position you are applying for.
Candidates earning more that Kshs. 330,000 need not apply.
55 total views, 1 today