Vacancy: Marketing Specialist – WCA
About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods.
As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 23 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
Activities in the West and Central Africa Region (WCA) are carried out in the Sahel, Upper Guinea and in the Humid Tropics Zones. The Regional Office is located in Yaoundé, Cameroon. The Humid Tropics Zone (WCA/HT) has offices in Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire.
The node’s activities focus on participatory tree domestication of high-value indigenous fruit trees and medicinal plants with particular emphasis on marketing of derived products.
ICRAF is looking for a scientist, specialized in marketing to be based in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Coordinator, the incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
· Lead marketing research activities in the WCA region, including value chain and sector analysis of fruits, nuts, medicinal and other tree products, studies of consumer demand and inter-regional trade
· Provide guidance in monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment of agroforestry tree product marketing activities, such as market information systems, collective action and post-harvest processing
· Lead and coordinate a team of people conducting research and development activities on the marketing of agroforestry tree products in the WCAregion
· Development of marketing strategies and approaches, preparation of research proposals, conception and implementation of marketing studies, publishing results, etc.
· Initiate and manage networks and partnerships with relevant stakeholders
· Liaise with the Global Researcher Priority Leader in charge of marketing for the development of any research programme
· Supervise graduate students in marketing research
· Assist the Regional Coordinator in steering and managing specific projects
Qualifications & Experience
· PhD in marketing, agribusiness, economics, or a related discipline
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in marketing research on tree or other agricultural products, with a track record of scientific publications
· Proficiency in English in speaking and writing is required. Proficiency in French is required
· Strong skills in conceptualization, communication and reporting
· Demonstrable competence in the use of computers and data analysis software
· Working experience in West and Central Africa Region is an asset
· Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and a multicultural environment
· Willing to travel frequently across the region
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on International terms and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to nine (9) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
· A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations
· A detailed curriculum vitae
· The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), P O Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya OR via email: email@example.com. All applicants should indicate “Marketing Specialist-WCA” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until 26 July 2012 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
35 total views, 1 today