Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates from the Republic of Burundi and the Republic of Uganda for the following position tenable at the Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC) Secretariat:
Deputy Executive Secretary (Projects and Programmes)
Reports To: Executive Secretary, LVBC
Duty Station: Lake Victoria Basin Commission
Contract Term: 3 Years renewable once
Station: LVBC Secretariat Headquarters, Kisumu, Kenya
Main Purpose of the Job
The Deputy Executive Secretary (Projects and Programmes) is a senior management position under the direction of the Executive Secretary.
The main purpose of this job is to ensure coordination of projects and programmes and their effective and efficient implementation and to enhance the process of joint development of the Lake Victoria Basin as an Economic Growth Zone for the Community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Executive Secretary, the Officer shall be responsible for the following tasks:
1. Coordinate the LVBC Secretariat’s activities in the areas of Projects and Programmes, take necessary initiatives and formulate proposals;
2. Provide guidance on annual work plans of Projects and Programmes in alignment with the LVBC Strategic Plan and coordinate their implementation and their monitoring and evaluation;
3. Ensure overall consistencies, synergies and quality in Projects and Programmes implementation and high performance level;
4. Guide identification and development of new projects and programmes within the LVBC mandate;
5. Analyze reports from Partner States’ institutions on their activities relating to the management of the Basin as specified in the LVBC Protocol;
6. Promote active involvement and participation of key stakeholders and players in sustainable development initiatives in the Lake Victoria Basin;
7. Develop and implement Knowledge Management and Information Systems, and Knowledge and Information dissemination strategies and feedback on the Commission activities to end users or stakeholders;
8. Coordinate the involvement of the Commission in Multilateral Environment Agreements (MEA’s) and projects thereof.
9. Promote capacity building, institutional development and research in the Basin;
10. Assist the Executive Secretary in providing guidance and technical support to the Sectoral Council of Ministers and relevant Stakeholders and take appropriate follow-up actions as decided/directed by the Sectoral Council;
11. Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the Commission and EAC in general;
12. Deputize the Executive Secretary;
13. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary.
An advanced University Degree in Projects Management Studies, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources Management, Economics, or related fields but with greater understanding of Programmes Development and Management.
II. Work Experience
· At least ten (10) years of experience of Projects and Programmes Management, 5 of which should be at a senior level;
· Strong knowledge of Project Cycle Management (PCM);
· In-depth experience in Programme Planning, Implementation and Coordination with emphasis on strategic planning and Programmes Management as well as Monitoring and Evaluation;
· Sound knowledge of main Development Partners;
· Experience in Resources Mobilisation, financing agreement negotiation and management;
· Strong experience in Consultancy Management.
· Must be computer literate with knowledge in use of spreadsheets and updated financial/accounting softwares.
III. Skills and Competencies
· Strong communication, analytical and interpersonal skills;
· Strong teamwork ethic; positive, flexible attitude;
· Ability to take complete ownership of responsibilities;
· Ability to work under pressure and time constraints as well as handle a number of tasks simultaneously required.
The post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Executive Secretary,
Lake Victoria Basin Commission Secretariat,
P. O. Box 1510-40100
Tel +254 57 202 6344
Fax +254 27 202 6324
To be received not later than 27th April 2012.
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Lake Victoria Basin Commission will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.
23 total views, 1 today