Full-Time Technical Specialist Job in Nairobi – Save the Children
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries.
We are the world’s largest independent child rights organization. From emergency relief to long-term development, Save the Children secures a child’s right to health, education and protection.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity.
We are looking to recruit for this position to be based in Somalia / Somaliland Country Office (Nairobi).
Technical Specialist – Food Security & Livelihoods – Somalia / Somaliland Country Office
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Role Purpose: The Technical Specialist Food Security & Livelihoods will provide overall technical advice and support to all projects related to food security and livelihoods.
Reports to: Head of Food Security & Livelihoods
Dimensions: Save the Children works in four regions of Somalia/Somaliland with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately US$60 million in 2012.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Contribute to the development of food security & livelihoods thematic strategy in line with Save the Children’s Country Strategic Plan for Somalia/Somaliland programme
- Participate in development of ambitious yet practical sectoral plans as part of the Country Annual Plans
- Provide high quality technical inputs in to developing cost-effective, innovative and sustainable proposals related to livelihoods and social protection in Somalia/Somaliland
- Ensure that the project designs take in to account minimum standards of humanitarian relief in accordance with the Sphere standards and Red Cross Code of Conduct in emergency response projects
- Plan and ensure adequate budgets are available in proposals for staff, partner, community capacity building in technical areas in line with project objectives
- Work with quality programmes team to provide technical guidance and inputs to the Area/operations teams for them to develop concept notes and proposals related to livelihoods and social protection as mandated under the food security & livelihoods strategy
- Forge links, wherever applicable, with other thematic areas of Somalia/Somaliland programme, more specifically with health, nutrition WASH and education for developing integrated projects for difficult to reach children in Somalia/Somaliland
- Develop and implement a relevant and sustainable capacity building plan for Area/operations teams, partners and consortium members on food security & livelihoods for quality delivery of projects and enhanced local capacity for sustainable promotion of Save the Children’s goals on food security & livelihoods for children, families and communities in Somalia/Somaliland
- Support Area/operations teams and relevant project/programme managers in relevant technical capacity of parents, communities, market and other institutions and government to improve sustainable food security & livelihoods opportunities in Somalia/Somaliland
- Build technical capacity in the area teams, partners and consortium members to produce top class donor reports of projects related to livelihoods and social protection, by working with quality programmes team
- Support the Area/operations team in identifying and addressing technical gaps in planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of livelihoods and social protection projects, in coordination with quality programmes team
- Work with quality programmes team to support Area/operations teams in developing local-specific advocacy strategies and messages in livelihoods and social protection.
- Support Area teams as requested and build their capacity to lead representation and advocacy in technical, government and civil society fora within the Area, for food security & livelihoods and related issues
- Participate as delegated in relevant external fora including donor meetings and clusters related to food security & livelihoods
- Support Head of food security & livelihoods in identifying key opportunities and events for Save the Children to position itself as the leading organisation for child rights linked food security & livelihoods in Somalia and Somaliland
- Along Head of food security & livelihoods, identify and secure potential technical resource persons and organisations for their support in advancing Save the Children’s advocacy in the sector. This involves forging partnerships.
- Work closely with quality programmes and operations teams to ensure that all projects in food security & livelihoods have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines
- Assist the Area teams in technical assessments of local/implementing partners
- Assist quality programmes team technically to support Area teams and partners to carry out regular monitoring and measure and report on achievement and progress towards project objectives and results.
- Along with quality programmes team, organise periodic technical project review meetings with Area teams (programme/project managers) and consortium partners and internally share progress and action
- Carry out extensive field visits to document observations and experiences and share them with Area, quality and technical teams and influence management action for improvement of technical aspects in projects.
- Work with quality programmes team to carry out relevant studies and document and disseminate good practices in projects related to livelihoods and social protection.
- Work closely with quality programme and operations team in a matrix management environment for development and implementation of high quality projects in livelihoods and social protection both in development as well as emergency situations.
- Functionally line manage the food security & livelihoods technical staff in the Area/Operations teams by coaching, mentoring and providing periodic constructive feedback for learning and development and capacity building
- Support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our members and donors.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Degree in social sciences; economics, agricultural, natural resource management or a related field with additional training in cash and non-cash-based social protection and project planning and management techniques
- Recommended a minimum of six years of relevant technical experience including two years at senior level
- Proven skills and experience in undertaking assessments and designing/writing quality technical proposals in the sector
- Proven experience in programme development, project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation related to the sector including writing up high quality project/donor reports
- Proven experience of developing and managing high quality, innovative and cost-effective technical livelihoods and social protection projects in fragile and insecure environments, preferably in Somalia context and with International NGOs
- Proven experience and skills in advocacy and building work relationships with local/national governments and influencing institutional, private and/or corporate donors
- Solid experience and excellent skills in capacity building of systems, staff, partners and other actors related to livelihoods and social protection
- Ability to extensively travel for project monitoring and provide on-site technical support to field teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Willingness to be deployed part or full time in to emergency response as per need and as directed
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SC must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SC Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SC’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
Applications close on 28th January 2013.
143 total views, 2 today