5 Mar 2013
Full-Time Disaster Risk Reduction Coordinator Job At Adeso, Isiolo Kenya
Organization: Adeso, African Development Solutions
Position Title:Disaster Risk Reduction Coordinator
Resilience and Economic Growth in Arid Lands-Improved Resilience Program (REGAL-IR)
Reporting to: Chief of Party
Working with: REGAL-IR Project team
Program/ Duty station: Isiolo
Contract Duration: 1 year, renewable
Starting date: Immediate
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The REGAL IR program is a 5 year initiative aiming to reduce hunger and poverty, increase social stability and build strong foundations for economic growth by strengthening social, economic, and environmental resilience in pastoral and transitioning communities in Kenya’s arid lands.
It has six strategic objectives including diversifying livelihoods, im proving value chain inclusiveness, natural Resource management, conflict management, disaster risk reduction, and improving nutrition.
The program will be based in Isiolo County and implementing activities in Isiolo, Garissa, Wajir, Marsabit, and Turkana.
- To build the capacities of communities and local institutions to anticipate and mitigate the impacts of drought
- Strengthen disaster risk reduction (DRR)
- Build local capacity and promote awareness?building
- Coordinate with Adeso consortium Partners to strengthen resilience to shocks and disasters.
- In concert with the relief?to?development community, identify and support activities that strengthen food security safety nets
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Overall planning, management, Coordination and supervision of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) activities
- Supporting and monitoring of the implementation and progress of the Drought Emergency Response activities
- Supervision of Drought Emergency Response activities, including project management, human resources management, financial& administrative management.
- Reporting on progress of the project
- Networking and linking with external stakeholders and actors to support Contingency
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree holder in community development and or other relevant field
- Management and supervision of humanitarian aid activities in a context similar to Kenya and its arid lands.
- Supervision of partner organisations in implementing humanitarian aid activities.
- Knowledge of and experience with logical framework methodology and result indicators.
- Regulations and reporting requirements of USAID.
- Drought Cycle Management and Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction approach.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English language.
- Experience in cash programming will be an added advantage
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and be part of building resilience and economic growth in Africa, please submit your application to email@example.com quoting the position in the subject matter, by March 11th 2013
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
1. An updated CV
2. An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer
131 total views, 1 today