Full-Time Deputy Director of Operations Job Vacancy in Kenya
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
The IRC has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities.
Scope of Work
The IRC Somalia country program is looking for a Deputy Director Operations (DDO), to lead and ensure efficient support systems within the country team and includes functions of administration, logistics, IT and human resources.
The position is based in Nairobi with at least 50% travel to office sites in Somalia.
Ensure quality field office support and operations policy compliance
- Develop, update, roll out and ensure implementation of all operations (logistics, HR, IT, admin) policies within the country program in line with IRC policies (international and country specific) as well as donor guidelines
- Undertake regular internal reviews to assess implementation of the policies and report any concerns to the Country Director and establish mechanisms to address the same
- Make sure that the organizational staff code of conduct ‘the IRC Way’ (Integrity, Service and Accountability) is rolled out and observed by all staff. Organize regular orientation and reviews within the team on the same
- Organize an operation team workshop every 4 months bringing the teams together to discuss on issues, train and build a sense of team work
- Undertake regular field visits (at least 50% time) to the field sites and support the teams through training, monitoring of activities and identifying and addressing any concerns
- Assess the operation team structure for the overall country program and propose changes in order to ensure effective operation functions
- Coordinate with the Security Manager to establish specific recommendations regarding security system strengthening at field sites and work with the Field Coordinators to ensure these recommendations are implemented
- Participate in development of the Somalia country strategic plan and contribute towards implementation of the same
- Closely monitor the issue of cost effectiveness within the country program and suggest/ implement measures to achieve cost effective operations
- Develop operation team strategic plans for the country program and implement the same
- Develop annual operation budgets for the country program and constantly review the same against funding and identify gaps
- Support and lead operations assessments for new program areas within Somalia
- Lead in setting up operations in new field sites- assess needs, recruitment of staff, establishment of control framework, and monitoring
- Establish and implement strong internal controls within the country program working closely with the finance controller
- Ensure that all operation functions are geared towards quality program support and timely response on needs
- Work with the program team to establish procurement schedule for donor grants
- Provide operation reports as necessary for development of donor reports
- Ensure quality management of all assets and inventory within the country program
- Undertake regular prequalification exercises for the country program- Nairobi and field sites and establish a transparent, fast and cost effective procurement system
- Participate in various meetings to develop understanding and provide recommendations to the program team- project development meetings, monthly budget vs actual review meetings, grants opening and closing meetings etc
- Oversee recruitment within the country program making sure that the process
- Lead in undertaking annual salary surveys for staff and advice the CD for relevant salary changes/ increment for staff
- Ensure that staff performance management within the country program is done keeping the organizational guidelines
- Develop and share reports related to operations unit- monthly HR and procurement reports for submission to the regional office; weekly procurement and recruitment reports for the country program
- Ensure that all staff (international and national) staff are aware of the various policies developed within the country program and are adhering to the same
- Identify staff training and development needs and develop plans to provide the same through internal and external resources
- Oversee performance of all operation staff within the country program and work with the direct reports and other supervisors to address the same through training, performance improvement plans and disciplinary action as necessary
- Bachelors Degree required; Masters Degree in a related field preferred
- At least 8 years relevant and progressive professional experience in an international organisation
- Previous experience working in emergency or post-conflict contexts
- Knowledge of standard procedures and policies relevant to INGOs and donors regulations (ECHO, USAID, UN, DFID)
- Solid organizational skills, ability to be flexible & work well under pressure in a fast-paced multi-task team environment
- Ability to negotiate and operate in a complex and dynamic environment of Somalia without compromising IRC and humanitarian values
- Willingness to travel and spend significant (at least 50% or more) time inside Somalia is a critical requirement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Somali language skills a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of computer applications and databases relevant to HR and logistics operations
Disclaimer: At Jobskenyan.com, we take necessary precaution to verify the authenticity of our job adverts, we also encourage our users to be more careful when dealing with third party sites or clients who advertise on our platform, we're in no way affiliated to any of the companies.
With thousands of Jobs posted on our platform Weekly, we are indeed No 1 for authentic Jobs but we can only do our best. Jobskenyan advises you to never pay any amount of money to any recruiter or agent for job aid. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. BE CAREFUL!!!
204 total views, 1 today