5 Mar 2013
Full-Time Adeso Recruits Project Officers (Regal IR) in Kenya
Organization:Adeso, African Development Solutions Resilience and Economic Growth in Arid lands – Improving Resilience in Kenya
Position Title:Project Officer - Regal IR
Reporting to: Technical Advisor
Working with: All program teams as well as line management of staff
Program / Duty Station: Garissa / Isiolo / Turkana / Marsabit / Wajir
Duration: 1 Year with possibility of extension
Starting date: 1st April 2013
Salary Grade: Grade E
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African-based international organization, working with communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
Adeso has been strengthening rural livelihood and delivering innovative humanitarian aid and development programs for the past
Currently, we have programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our present donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, and UNICEF, among others.
Adeso is an exciting, dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. Employment with Adeso offers opportunities for personal growth and development.
The REGAL-IR program is a 5 year initiative aiming to reduce hunger and poverty, increase social stability and build strong foundations for economic growth by strengthening social, economic, and environmental resilience in pastoral and transitioning communities in Kenya’s arid lands.
It has six strategic objectives including diversifying livelihoods, improving value chain inclusiveness, natural Resource management, conflict management, disaster risk reduction, and improving nutrition.
The program will be based in Isiolo County and implementing activities in Isiolo, Garissa, Wajir, Marsabit, and Turkana.
- Facilitate the targeting of groups to be engaged in Adeso REGAL-IR Livelihoods, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Natural Resource Management (NRM)activities
- To define the project objectives and ensure quality control throughout the project life cycle
- Monitoring, evaluation, activity reporting and documentation
- Organise and implement capacity building activities for Community/Community Groups
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Assisting the project team in implementing, monitoring, reporting and evaluating the REGAL-IR project.
- Organize and participate in rapid assessments targeting Farmers/Community/Community Groups in either Isiolo/Garissa/Turkana/Wajir/Marsabit Counties to identify possible support.
- Ensure that the selection process of Farmers/Community/Community Groups to be supported under REGAL-IR is clear and transparent.
- Assist the Project Manager (DPM) in organizing project related workshops and meetings.
- Keep a diary of the planned interventions for each group with a clear schedule of planned activities
- Support assessments and baseline-surveys for Farmers/Community/Community Groups targeted under REGAL-IR.
- Develop and maintain proper data of Farmers/Community/Community Groups supported under REGAL-IR.
- Working with Project Managers/DRR Coordinator, plan and implement capacity building activities that will ensure sustainability in the long term.
- Prepare and submit quality monthly reports on Farmers/Community/Community Groups activities highlighting against planned achievement, impacts and recommendations.
- Take lead in developing and submitting Success stories /case-studies and lessons-learnt based on the Farmers/Community/Community Groups activities
- In liaison with the Project Manager/DRR Coordinator ensure quality monitoring tools are developed to track impacts/effects of the interventions.
- Working closely with the Technical Advisor /DRR Coordinator, establish detailed data on the beneficiaries including, location, trainings and support provided.
- Liaise regularly with communities, elders, local authorities and other agencies operational in project counties in North Eastern Kenya to ensure coordination and effective implementation of intervention activities.
- If required carry out needs assessment or monitoring missions within North Eastern Kenya or outside of your duty station on a range of sectors and provide feedback.
- Ensure that all records pertaining to this project are properly completed and stored.
- Translate conversations and documents for non-local language speaking staff to English when required.
- Ensure that Adeso expertise in areas such as Gender and HIV/AIDS are mainstreamed in all REGAL-IR activities
- Attend relevant coordination meetings with other stakeholders at field level
- Any other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree and or Diploma in Agriculture, Livestock, micro-entrepreneurship, Natural Resource Management (NRM), Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) or a related livelihoods field and 2 years experience working in similar projects.
- Minimum 2 years with NGO/ Government or United Nations (UN) experience at national level is required.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively handle stressful situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English is essential (fluency specified County dominant language is an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, power point, etc.
- Ability to live and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort.
An updated CV This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and be part of building resilience and economic growth in Africa, please submit your application to email@example.com quoting the position in the email subject matter by March 11th 2013
Each application should be addressed to the African Development Solutions (Adeso), Human Resources Manager and include the following:
An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer
152 total views, 1 today