December 17, 2013
Operations and Finance Manager – Assets to Adolescent Girls in Kenya
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability.
Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries.
Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change.
Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
Objective of the Programme:
DAI is preparing for an anticipated DFID and the Nike Foundation funded Programme; Assets to Adolescent Girls. The Programme will aim to address constraints to the economic empowerment of adolescent girls in developing countries.
It will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and operate across Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Grantees of the Programme will receive financial and non-financial support to develop their products and business models.
Scope of Work:
The Director of Operations and Finance, based in Nairobi, Kenya, will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of finance/operations as well as coordinating the programme’s grants component.
They will develop and implement programme policies and practices ensuring organisational effectiveness by providing leadership on the programme’s financial and administrative functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Team Leader in managing supervisory programme staff in completing timely activity budgets and work plans, as well as ensure regular reporting on all activities and advisory services provided under the Assets to Adolescent Girls Programme
- Work directly with Finance Officer and Grants Manager on personnel, finance, procurement, and grants policies and issues as they arise
- Work with technical component leaders to ensure that all targets and deadlines are achieved according to workplans
- Ensure programme finances and management practices are in compliance with DAI and DFID contractual rules and regulations
- Finalise Terms of Reference (TORs) for all Short-Term Technical Assistance – both national and international – and work to ensure compliance with agreed budgets
- Deputise on all aspects of operational management of the programme
- Serve as the Team Leader’s advisor on all contractual and financial matters with DFID, Partners, and Subcontractors and play a key role in the preparation of budgets
- Regular drafting and compilation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports, as indicated by the Team Leader
- Represent DAI– along with the Team Leader – at Client meetings and otherwise as required
- Work directly with DAI Head Office on programme, implementation, personnel, and budget issues
- Provide operational advice and guidance to the Team Leader on an on-going basis
- Strong knowledge of donor reporting systems
- Experience working on grants management programmes
- Experience in setting up grants funds would be a distinct advantage
- Experience in working and living in Africa and South Asia countries
- Strong skill set in reporting, finance and monitoring and evaluation
- Experience working with donors such as DFID, UNDP or World Bank
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English is essential
- Certified Public Accountant qualification is desirable
Education: Advanced Degree in Economics, Finance or Business or other related field preferred
Anticipated Project Start Date: April 2014
Project Duration: Three to four years
Project Location: Nairobi, Kenya, with occasional travel
*Please note that all profiles are indicative only and therefore subject to change.*
How to Apply:
Click link to apply