April 30, 2013
East Africa Capacity Building Advisor
Senior Manager, Capacity Building , Dotted line to East Africa Regional Director
Location: East Africa (country is negotiable)
Travel: International up to 50%
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries.
We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets.
Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities.
With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
The Regional Capacity Building Advisor is a part of the Capacity Building Unit.
The Capacity Building Unit is focused on improving TechnoServe’s effectiveness at building key knowledge and skill areas among our beneficiaries to ensure that they can carry on and improve the work started through our interventions.
While the position is a part of a central technical unit, to ensure the Regional Capacity Building Advisor is fully integrated into the region and abreast of priorities and needs, he/she will be a part of the East Africa Divisional Team and coordinate priority activities with the East Africa Regional Director.
The Regional Capacity Building Advisor will be responsible for deploying and supporting implementation of best practices in capacity building in East Africa.
Primary responsibilities include: development, coordination and facilitation of training programs and tools to enhance client business performance in key skill areas, such as business financial literacy, good governance, marketing, as well as training programs which target staff ability to achieve impact with clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Training Design and Curricula Development:
- Conduct and/or lead training needs analysis, working closely with appropriate country or regional staff, to determine learning outcomes needed for client’s business success and collect information about target beneficiaries.
- Design training curricula to achieve targeted learning outcomes. Training materials should include facilitator guides, participant workbooks and hand-outs, as appropriate, as well as any learning materials and aids.
- Oversee training material revision, translation and production
- Facilitation and Training of Trainers:
- Facilitate TechnoServe staff training programs in the region to help staff become more effective in client work
- Train staff, or other trainers, to facilitate training programs, as required
- Provide coaching and feedback to trainers, including conducting observation visits and refresher trainings
- Organize and plan logistics of training workshops, as required
- Knowledge Sharing and Regional Coordination
- Manage regional practice group workshops in capacity building and contribute to global practice group
- Promote best practice training standards in East Africa
- Maintain East Africa section of online platform for access to training materials, tools, refresher trainings
- Develop and implement methods to monitor and the evaluate the results of training programs
- Engage managers to ensure partnership in staff skills application, when working to build staff capacity
- Provide technical input on training and capacity building into proposal development, as required
- Develop a network of training design and facilitation consultants in the region
- Manage training consultants, as required
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in business, education, human resources, international relations or organizational development required
- Advanced degree in business, international relations, human resources, organizational development, or education preferred
- Relevant experience in sub-Saharan Africa required
- Passion for private sector solutions to poverty and proven experience in economic development
- Passion for developing people, mentoring, training and coaching
- Experience facilitating training in a multicultural environment with participants with different backgrounds, from a variety of countries and who speak different languages from his/her native tongue
- Proven experience designing training programs in economics, consulting skills, business, finance, and/or agro-business for staff or clients with similar characteristics to TechnoServe’s
- Familiarity with adult learning methodologies (exposure to Accelerated Learning preferred)
- Experience training and mentoring new trainers
- Outstanding verbal and written communication in English
- Experience with E-learning and Storyline design software preferred
- Ability to create momentum and foster organizational change (must have experience starting up new things with success)
- Ability to travel internationally as much as 50% of the time
- Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
- Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications [and authorized to work in the US] will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.
- Detailed job description for the position can be accessed at http://www.technoserve.org/jobs/east-africa-capacity-building-advisor
- Deadline for applications is 5.00pm, Friday 14th May 2013