KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme is well known internationally for its diverse health studies, including clinical, epidemiological, immunological and health systems research
At the KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Programme we are keen to build capacity for research in East Africa.
We are aware that good PhD training is the foundation for a successful research career. As such, our PhD scheme is aimed at providing students with an opportunity to carry out their training in a high quality research environment.
The Programme is seeking to recruit a
with time to be split between Kilifi and the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute in Basel, Switzerland.
The PhD student will work on a project characterizing heterogeneity in malaria dynamics.
The studies are based on the observation that malaria transmission, morbidity and mortality, and contributing factors such as mosquito breeding sites or access to treatment, are unevenly distributed at a local level.
Characterising patterns of fine-scale heterogeneity, how areas interconnect and how they respond to interventions will provide information for use in models to predict the effects of interventions and more generally in designing effective malaria control strategies.
The successful candidate will receive PhD supervision from a statistician and an epidemiologist.
We are looking for a candidate who has a background in statistics, mathematical modelling, epidemiology or a related field.
Deadline for this application is 18th February.
For full job descriptions and application procedure details, please check our website (www.kemri-wellcome.org) Find the PhD Studentships under the Careers section.
Head of Communication
Job Ref: MN 5928
Our client, KEMRI – Wellcome Trust Research Programme based in Kilifi and Nairobi wishes to recruit a suitable person to fill the above position:
Overall Purpose: Responsibility for strategic development and management of communications for the Programme.
Covering internal communications (leadership of intranet and other internal initiatives) and external relations with international, national, county and local health-related public and private stakeholders, including developing advocacy strategies with key organisations.
Lead and manage the communication and advocacy strategy for the Programme:
- Providing overall coordination and managing capacity building for other staff working on communication at the centre; including the project communication and media officers, community liaison managers, MOH-KEMRI liaison manager.
- Leading Internal communications through the further development of the intranet and other tools; and coordinating all branding at the Programme.
- Managing content for the Programme website, intranet and all electronic/social media; ensuring that this is kept up-to-date and relevant
- Engaging with national partner organisations and sponsors to build activities with their communication officers.
- Developing active International networks to promote public engagement in science through collaboration with science related institutions and funders, including the Wellcome Trust, UK
- Engaging local, national and international media, including newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, websites, documentaries and inputs to existing public for a for health and science.
- Including the development of a media engagement and management plan
- Supporting research into practice by developing materials and mechanisms (with scientists) to disseminate summaries of research and research findings.
- Developing and coordinating networking Initiatives with science related groups and Institutions at national and international levels.
- Advanced University Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area combined with university degree in a related field.
- 5-10 years of experience in managing communication.
- Demonstrated skill in programme communication, development of information, Education and communication material, documentation and publication (Including web-based documentation).
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and the role of mass media.
- Analytical and conceptual skills to think and plan strategically.
- Skills and experience in communication programmes, monitoring, review and evaluation.
- Proven ability to effectively manage relationships with media representatives, government officials and community groups.
Email your detailed application with details of your current or past gross monthly salary email@example.com before 12 Noon 18th February 2014.