Job Title : Assistant Systems Administrator
Department : Finance
Reports To : Finance Manager
Location : Nairobi, Kenya
Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure in line with Company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the system hardware, operating systems, software systems and related procedures adhere to organizational values and enabling staff effectively perform their duties.
- Manage and tune in-house computer software and network connections to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business applications.
- Participate in planning and implementation of IT policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance is consistent with Company goals, industry best practice and regulatory requirements.
- Participate in and support capacity planning and development of long term strategic goals for systems and software in conjunction with end users and department managers.
Coordinate with network engineering, business application and database administration functions to implement desktop and server systems that utilize industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
- Deploying workstations, servers, printers, scanners, firewalls, encryption systems and all host security systems.
- Manage all operating systems and end-user software.
- Manage all communications and connection solutions including workstation connectivity, LANs, company website, intranet and internet applications at the Head office.
- Ensure integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, multiple databases and during data transfer in accordance with business needs and industry best practices regarding privacy, security and regulatory compliance.
- Manage input/output fleet, including printers copiers and scanners
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights and storage allocations in accordance with best practices regarding privacy, security and regulatory compliance.
- Perform regular network and security audits and document the same.
- Perform and test routine system back-ups and restores.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, trouble shoot and resolve hardware and software problems on servers, input/output fleet ad workstations. Escalate incidents as necessary.
- Practice network asset management including maintenance of network components inventory and related documentation and technical specification information.
- Support application development teams through project lifecycles.
- Analyze system servers, application, network and input/output devices performance.
- Recommend schedule and perform software and hardware improvements, upgrade, purchase, reconfigurations and/or purchases.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocals, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Create required reports in response to business user needs.
- Participate in negotiation with vendors, outsourcers and contractors to secure software products and service.
- Develop, document and maintain policies procedures and associated training plans for system administration and users and conduct trainings per user needs and changing IT environment.
- Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering form a recognized University
- Professional qualifications: Systems administration/System Engineering, Certification in Unix, Oracle and Microsoft.
- Working technical knowledge of network, PC and platform operating systems.
- Extensive application, support experience and working technical knowledge of current system software, protocols and standards including firewalls and active directory.
- Experience in LAN administration, software and hardware troubleshooting and data
- Minimum of 5 years practical experience in system administration.
- Experience in accounting packages.
- Achieving results.
- Customer service.
- Proven analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language.
- Adept at reading, writing and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.