ICT Assistant Job Vacancy
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by eight (8) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania Mozambique, and Democratic Republic of Congo.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
The AVU Business Plan 2009-2014 has two main thrusts:
(a) Educational and support services provided on a fee basis; and
(b) Not-for-profit development services.
The, Not-for-profit development services, aims at building the capacity of AVU Partner Institutions (PIs) with an objective of increasing access to quality education through the following activities:
- updating and developing content;
- Open Educational Resources (OER) Development;
- AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP);
- set up/upgrade ODeL centers;
- developing professional networks through Communities of Practices;
- Research and Development; and
- Quality Evaluation and Benchmarking.
The AfDB is funding a second phase of the Multinational Project which will build on the first phase and will extend its benefits to more countries.
The overall objective of the AVU Multinational Project II is to strengthen the capacity of the AVU and a network of 27 institutions to deliver and manage quality ICT integrated education and training opportunities in 22 African countries.
The project has the following activities:
(1) Establishment of new Open Distance and eLearning (ODeL) Centers and/or upgrading of existing AVU Learning Centers as well as Internet connectivity provision at AVU Partner Institutions;
(2) Development and/or improvement, and delivery of four ICT integrated Programs: AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP); Teacher Education, Computer Science, and Peace and Conflict Resolution;
(3) Gender Mainstreaming
(4) Research and Development; (5) Promotion and development of Open Education Resources (OERs); and (6) Enhancement of AVU Capacity .
The AVU Multinational project II will be implemented in 27 AVU Partner Institutions in the following 22 countries: nine (9) Francophone African Countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal; four (4) Lusophone African Countries: Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau and Mozambique; and eight (9) Anglophone African Countries: Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sudan, and Tanzania.
To successfully implement these project activities the AVU wishes to engage an ICT Assistant Lusophone to support the activities related to the Establishment of new Open Distance and eLearning (ODeL) Centers and/or upgrading of existing AVU Learning Centers as well as Internet connectivity provision at AVU Partner Institutions.
Scope of Work
The ICT Assistant Lusophone will provide support to the Senior ICT Officer in the following areas:
- The deployment of new ODeL Centers in the Lusophone countries
- The upgrade of existing AVU learning centers in the Lusophone countries
- Communication with Partner Institutions
- Software and hardware installations as may be required
- Training and transfer of skills to Partner Institutions
- Help desk support to internal and external clients
- Network and systems administration
- Maintenance and updating of the AVU Web Portals – AVU Corporate website, MyAVU Virtual Class, OER@AVU Portal, VCDP portal and any others that may be added
- Development and sending newsletters, email shots and other updates to the AVU Network
- Maintain backups of essential data
- Support to other Project staff
- Technical support at meetings, workshops, conferences, webinars and eConferences
- Set up and moderate sessions using the online conferencing tool (Blackboard Collaborate) and videoconferencing endpoints
- Maintenance and update of contacts of the AVU Network
- Any other duties that may be assigned
Effective support leading to the successful implementation of the AVU Multinational Project II and successful implementation of AVU Information Technology.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Telecommunications. A combination of Diploma and relevant experience will be considered
- At least 2 years proven Experience with web technologies and databases specifically LAMP platform (Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL)
- Experience with a learning management system desirable e.g. Moodle
- At least 2 years demonstrable experience with Windows 2003/2008 server environment and Windows XP/Vista/7 client support
- Working knowledge of client-server technology and general network connectivity including LAN and WAN maintenance (Servers, switches, routers, firewalls) and VSAT Technology. Experience with shared computing models e.g. Ncomputing, Multipoint Server etc will be an added advantage
- Experience with new network deployments. Setting up and operating audio-visual equipment and a videoconferencing solution will be an added advantage.
- Language proficiency: Fluency in Portuguese and least either English or French
The ICT Assistant Lusophone will work full time dedicating 8 hours in a day for 5 days a week.
Duration: 2 years renewable
Reporting: The officer will work under the coordination of the Senior ICT Officer or such other person as the client may designate from time to time in writing.
Payment: The salary will be commensurate with the qualification and experience of the successful candidate
How to apply
The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate will be appointed on a 2 year contract (renewable).
Application must include a cover letter and detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email and residential addresses; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must have ICT Assistant Lusophone as the email subject
In case of any inquiries, these should be sent to email@example.com
209 total views, 3 today