ICRC Recruits Civil Engineer in Somalia
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
(Based in Somalia)
The Water & Habitat Unit carries out various projects in Somalia which include construction and rehabilitation of various structures such as water tanks, health structures, hospitals, in addition to water projects such as boreholes, wells rehabilitation and rain water catchment’s structures.
In the frame of its activities, the Somali Delegation in Nairobi is seeking a skilled and highly motivated Somali National or origin to fill the Water and Habitat (Civil Engineer) position(s), based in Somalia (various locations).
- Carry out assessment and diagnostics of buildings (hospitals, health structures, etc.);
- Write bill of quantities (BoQ) for rehabilitation or constructions works;
- Produce basic technical drawings for civil works;
- Supervise rehabilitation and construction works independently;
- Implement contracts for ICRC projects and deal directly with contractors on the ground;
- Supervise civil works related to water projects (elevated tanks, animal troughs, etc.);
- Organize for and provide technical training and support to ICRC staff.
- Degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related field of work;
- Minimum of 2 years experience in implementing and supervising construction projects;
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, any other interactive software);
- Ability to read and produce technical drawings (Good command of AutoCAD is an asset);
- Excellent command of English and Somali languages.
- Experience in humanitarian work;
- Flexibility and willingness to be based in various regions and travel inside Somalia, and ability to work in hardship areas;
- Good report writing and administrative skills, ability to supervise and train staff;
- Experience in supervising construction teams on site;
- Ability to design simple structures, such as small buildings, concrete slabs, etc.;
- Knowledge or experience in water projects is an asset.
Interested persons (of Somali Nationality or origin), with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to the Head of Human Resources on the address or e-mail below, on or before 20th July 2012.
Please include: Copies of ID papers, detailed curriculum vitae, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
International Committee of the Red Cross,
Denis Pritt Road,
Nairobi, 00200, Kenya
51 total views, 1 today