GOAL Operations Manager Job in Nakuru / Nairobi Kenya – 2011
GOAL Operations Manager Job in Nakuru / Nairobi Kenya – 2011
The Operations Manager (OM) will work alongside the Country Director (CD) and with the senior management team at a country level, to support and assist the CD in the overall management and leadership of the country programme.
The OM will assist the building and running of an organisation that can design, implement, and report on cost effective interventions of a high quality, consistent with relevant standards and norms. The OM assists in the management of the country programme, working with programme and project teams and head office staff to define and implement a programme that gives meaning to GOAL’s mission, policies and procedures, within the Kenyan context.
The OM will have responsibility for sections of the country programme including Human Resources and Administration, logistics, IT, and the Low-Cost Housing Programme.
The OM will have a focus on systems development, documentation and implementation, including working with HR on an effective in-house training programme and with finance, logistics and HR on audit systems for GOAL and donor policies. This will include the effective management of the GOAL asset register by facilitating the co-ordination of Logistics and Finance information.
It is anticipated that each of the three sections reporting to the OM (HR/Admin, logistics, and the Low-Cost Housing Programme) will be managed by strong coordinators. The role of the OM will be to coordinate and supervise their work and to agree strategic priorities so as to ensure the efficient and effective implementation of GOAL’s programmes in Kenya. The job-holder is not expected to manage the coordinator’s sections or teams on a daily basis, nor to act in their place except for periods of leave or where it is unavoidable.
The OM will be expected to have a good understanding of the overall country programme and be able to effectively represent the organisation and the country programme to external stakeholders.
Location: Nairobi (60%) and Nakuru (40%), Kenya
- Develop a good understanding of the overall country programme;
- Agree with CD monthly and annual objectives, and provide CD with monthly report on progress based upon an agreed workplan;
- Ensure monthly reporting on agreed key indicators for each function;
- Act as part of the Senior Management Team of the country programme;
- Represent GOAL and the country programme where relevant to external stakeholders;
- Ensure transparency and accountability across all GOAL Kenya activities through full implementation of logistic, HR, and admin regulation.
- Directly supervise the Human Resources Manager (HRM);
- Agree with the HRM monthly and longer term objectives for his/her department and review on a monthly basis their achievement based, in part, upon agreed performance indicators;
- Ensure, with HRM, effective monthly reporting on key indicators both for information and with a view to effective strategic planning of resources;
- Ensure excellent knowledge of and full compliance with Kenya’s labour and immigration laws. Train HR/admin team on same.
- Provide HRM with reasonable support and supervision as required to assist with the implementation of their work;
- Support the HRM to develop and implement an effective and agreed training and staff development programme which takes a strategic approach and addresses individual, programmatic, organisational needs;
- Support the HRM to work with other functions and programmes to coordinate and link work across the country programme;
- Together with the logistics and HR/admin team, ensure efficient management of Kenya-based conferences/meetings, Head Office visits, and Technical Team management;
- Work with the HRM to review the GOAL Kenya payscale and ensure staff are distributed representatively within it.
- Directly supervise the Logistics Coordinator (LC);
- Agree with the LC monthly objectives and review on a monthly basis their achievement;
- Provide LC with reasonable support and supervision as required to assist with the implementation of their work and to ensure that targets are being achieved;
- Support the LC to lead and develop all members of his/her team;
- Support the LC to work with other functions and programmes to coordinate and link work across the country programme.
- Directly supervise the Programme Manager and take responsibility for ensuring overall implementation of this project;
- Agree with the PM monthly objectives and review on a monthly basis their achievement;
- Provide PM with reasonable support and supervision as required to assist with the implementation of their work;
- Spend 40% of the time in the project area, supervising activities and ensuring proper systems implementation;
- Work with the PM to develop opportunities for advocacy, visibility, and fundraising for the programme, including linking with fundraising in Dublin as appropriate;
- Work with the team to ensure that Google Earth mapping is created and kept updated.
- Working with the CD and the Senior Management Team (SMT) identify areas requiring development and set out priorities and plans for meeting them;
- Implement plans and report to CD and SMT on progress;
- Assist the SMT with the drafting of a 2012-2017 Country Strategic Plan;
- Be responsible for implementation of the Document Management System;
- Support policy development and implementation in Logistics and HR, working with the respective managers;
- Support the ongoing development and implementation of Logistics and HR systems to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of organisation;
- Liaise with Dublin on development of policies within head office and the field, sharing information in order to encourage the development of systems that are valuable for all parts of the organisation.
- 3+ years of previous overseas systems management experience, including logistics, HR, and admin management.
- 4+ years previous experience in project management at a senior management level
- Education to a degree level, or significant relevant experience that shows an ability to critically analyse and apply information in management and work situations at a similar level
- Strong demonstrable previous experience in project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation – this will include use of planning tools such as logical framework analysis (LFA);
- An interest in capacity building/mentoring of teams (both national and expatriate)
- Flexibility to spend significant time in the field.
- Good skills in systems development and documentation e.g. experience of ISO systems or similar
- Strong experience liaising with governmental / local authorities and other NGO’s.
- Excellent staff management and personnel skills
- Budgetary control and financial management skills
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
Contract length: Initially until end-2011 with the potential for extension should the situation demand and funds are available.
Start date: ASAP
Travel: Travel from Nairobi to field sites for a minimum of 40% of total time
This job description only serves as a guide for the position available.
GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 29 Apr 2011
31 total views, 1 today