Finance Officer NGO Job in Kenya: DRC
Project Finance Officer
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997.
Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict.
Programmes include protection, livelihoods, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others.
There are 4 main programme offices in Somali region, one in Yemen, one in Kenya and one regional office in Nairobi.
There are also non operational region wide initiatives, focusing on advocacy and capacity building, which are supported from the Nairobi regional office. Currently there are over 150 DRC staff in the region.
The last 2 years have seen some growth in programme size, but primarily there has been a growth in the number of support and management functions demanded and required by the programme offices, in order to maintain quality and accountability.
The Finance officer will offer overall support to Child Protection project staff on all financial administrative matters.
In a number of programs, DRC provides grants to partners to implement specific programs, the Finance Officer will assist the Regional Finance Controller in ensuring that all partner financial reporting is timely and correct.
He/She will ensure that the partners report financial expenditure on monthly basis and make financial follow up on all project finances.
- Assist the Finance Controller in sub granting and monitoring of budgets
- Administration of all partner finance to ensure they comply with DRC and donor policies and accepted accounting principles
- Offer technical support and training to Implementing Partners finance officers.
- Ensure that partners submit quality financial reports and supporting documents on monthly basis
- Review all project financial documents for quality control
- Scan all financial documents in quality and visible way according to DRC scan guidelines and send both original and scan copies to Regional Finance Controller on monthly basis.
- Prepare project cashbook on monthly basis
- Ensure proper and transparent filling of all documents relating to finance and administration.
- Prepare and forward the Cashbooks to the Regional Office on monthly basis
- Assist the Regional Finance Controller in preparation of monthly financial reports to the donor and consolidation of supporting documents.
- Assist in trouble-shooting, analysis and tiding-up of project finances
- Support to Project staff in preparation of activity budgets and making cash payments during meetings, trainings etc
- Review project expenditures, monitor and ensure that resources are being utilized in an efficient and effective manner
- Assist Finance Controller in processing staff payroll
- In collaboration with Logistics and procurement, maintain project assets inventory
- Assist the Finance Controller in ensuring smooth internal and external audits.
- Assist Galkayo office on financial matters if need be.
- Any other task as given by the Child Protection Coordinator and Finance Manager
Duty Location: Galkayo, with travel to Mogadishu, Hargeisa or Bosaso as need arises.
Reports to the Child Protection Coordinator, Somali Program.
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability committments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html)
- At least diploma in Financial accounting, degree is an added advantage
- Two years work experience in relevant field
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Experience in working with INGOs,
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of working in Somali region or similar challenging environments.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
Please forward the application and CV, in English and marked “Project Finance Officer”, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 9 July, 2012
51 total views, 2 today