Finance Assistant Job Vacancy in Hargeisa, Somaliland
Post Title: Finance Assistant
Type of Contract:Service Contract
Duration: 1 Year, Renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds
Duty Station: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Closing Date: 8th August 2012
Organizational Unit: UNFPA Somalia
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is an international development agency that promotes the right of every woman, man and child to enjoy a life of health and equal opportunity. UNFPA supports countries in using population data for policies and programmes to reduce poverty and to ensure that every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, every young person is free of HIV/AIDS, and every girl and woman is treated with dignity and respect.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall guidance of the Representative and Head of UNFPA Field Office Hargeisa and under direct supervision of Admin/Finance Associate, the incumbent provides financial and programme support services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work to Somaliland programme.
He/She promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNFPA rules and regulations.
He/She works in close collaboration with programme and operation staff in the Country Office and UNFPA Field Offices to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Accounting and administrative support
- Accounting and Financial support to projects funded by core and non-core funds;
Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial/administrative processes and records with UN/UNFPA rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Input to the CO business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for UNFPA projects; preparation of all types of vouchers for Garowe Field Office; PO vouchers and payment execution.
- Assist in maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Assist timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
Provides support to the Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Verify supporting documents for new vendors/partners before submission for approval; create vendor data base for Somaliland suboffice.
- Liaise with relevant staff on verification of supporting documents for project payments and follow up REQ till submission of payment to UNDP.
- Take timely corrective actions on un-supported payment requests, including Travel F10 claims, consultant’s fees, etc.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents.
- Verify and ensure administrative practices are consistent with applicable rules and procedures.
- Maintain updated contract database and regularly monitor and alert responsible programme officer on the status of the contracts.
- Organize Hargeisa field office direct implemented work shops
- Perform any other duties as and when required.
- Demonstrate commitment to UNFPA’s mission, vision and values
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Place UNFPA interests first and foremost, including resisting political and personal pressure.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to UNFPA’s mandate and vision.
- Show respect, tact and consideration for different cultures in all communications.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues inside UNFPA, as well as with UNFPA partners and other stakeholders.
- Remain calm, composed and patient, regardless of her/his own state of mind.
- Avoid engaging in unproductive conflict.
- Set high personal standards and strive to achieve them.
Functional Competencies: Ability to plan, prioritise and deliver tasks on time; ability to participate effectively in a team-based information sharing environment; acceptance of additional responsibilities and capacity to work under pressure; high client service orientation; high initiative to solve problems; excellent analytical skills; excellent communication skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to financial resources management, including screening and collecting documentation, financial data processing, filing, provision of information.
- Strong IT skills.
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
Education: Diploma in commerce and/or Diploma in Business or Public Administration or equivalent is required.
- 3 to 4 years of relevant finance, experience at national level is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
Languages: Command of English language and Somali language, both written and spoken.
Applications with a current CV and P11www.escwa.un.org/main/vacancies/P_11.doc marked: “VA/FPA/SOM/07-5/2012 – Finance Assistant-Hargeisa” should be forwarded to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNFPA will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
24 total views, 1 today