Position Title: Engineering Assistant (Shelter)
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: G5/01 (based on UN Salary Scale for employees in Kenya
Type of Appointment: 6 months with possibility of extension
Under the general supervision of the Head of Sub Office (HSO) Dadaab and the direct supervision of the Shelter Program Manager, Dadaab, the successful candidate will be
responsible and accountable for the Construction of the IOM Accommodation including other
infrastructure project in accordance with the Organization’s regulations and procedures:
- Assist with overseeing the work of contractors, ensuring their contractual obligations are met. Assist with project monitoring of housing construction, water and sanitation, electrical etc.
- Ensure that proper authorizations for construction activities are obtained and available on site.
- Attend to the day to day activities on site, following plans, schedules and programs issued by the Contractor. Ensure high standards of industrial safety are maintained and observed.
- Prepare and submit reports of daily site activities;
- Attend on a weekly basis activities at contractor’s workshop ensuring that appropriate quality standard of production are meet. Ensure high standards of industrial safety are maintained and observed.
- Conduct site inspections and supervise ongoing project with government technical personnel to ensure project quality standards are met; Ensure quality & legality of the materials procured by the contractor.
- Verify quality of materials procured by contractor, namely aggregates, cement, bricks, including verifying certification of legally procured wood for construction.
- Report to Technical Manager over any problems generated by the implementation of the project.
- Establish and maintain the required standard product specification and quality control program in accordance to IOM standards.
- To accept any other duties that may be assigned from time to time that are commensurate to the position.
- Minimum College Diploma and/or 5 years’ experience in active shelter construction and/or civil Engineering
- Mature individual and able to work independently;
- Capable of working under stress and in difficult conditions;
- Capable of working well on own initiative and taking decisions;
- Computer literate including knowledge of AutoCAD and Ms Office Suite Software.
Languages: Thorough knowledge of English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of Somali is an
How to apply:
Submit well written cover letter and CV including daytime telephone and e-mail address to:-
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
P.O. Box 55040 – 00200,
OR send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org;
OR Hand deliver them to the IOM Sub-office, Dadaab.
Closing date: 31st January 2012
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted