Company Secretary at The Jomo Kenyatta Foundation ((JKF) in Nairobi – Kenya Jobs, Careers and Vacancies
The Jomo Kenyatta Foundation ((JKF) is a Company Limited by guarantee and having no share capital. It is a leading educational publisher established by the Government of Kenya in 1966 and mandated to advance education and knowledge through competitive publishing and provision of scholarships.
The scholarships are extended to bright needy secondary school children.
In pursuit of its mission and guided by the vision of being the top publishing house in Eastern Africa and a leading scholarship provider in Kenya, The Foundation is looking for suitably educated, trained, experienced, self-driven and motivated individuals with exceptional creativity, enthusiasm and energy to fill the following vacant positions.
Job Ref: JKF/HR/LS/2011/011
Reporting to the Managing Director, the successful candidate will ensure effective management of legal risks through compliance with legal norms and corporate governance standards.
- Monitoring the operating environment and advising the Company on the necessary policy changes in line with changes in the law and regulatory environment.
- Advising and guiding Management and Board of Directors to ensure that the Foundation’s actions and its existence remain within the law.
- Providing legal services to the Foundation on matters pertaining to debt collection.
- Conducting legal research and rendering advice to the Company.
- Preparing legal documentation and briefs for legal proceedings in court for use by external advocates assigned cases to handle/prosecute or defend.
- Liaising with Attorney-General’s office on Copyright issues for JKF Publications and legal implications of co-publishing.
- Analyzing insurance matters and advising Management on the same.
- Ensuring timely filing of statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Formulating Company policies and other contractual documents.
- Advising and assisting management on matters concerning CBA negotiations.
- Handling litigation and conveyance issues.
- Administration of the Company’s Provident Fund Scheme.
- Serving as a Secretary to the Board of Directors.
- To perform any other relevant duty assigned by the Managing Director.
- Master of Law (LLM)
- Bachelor of Law (LLB)
- Must be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Must be a Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public
- Must be a member of the Law Society of Kenya or any other relevant professional body
- Computer proficiency certificate
- Have at least 7 years experience as an advocate.
- Certification in Corporate Governance will be an added advantage
- Must have excellent decision making, report writing and presentation skills.
- Must have an analytical mind with proven managerial, leadership and organizational skills.
- Must be of high integrity, a team player, with excellent interpersonal skills.
N.B: All positions are permanent and pensionable except for the position of Assistant Editor (Science) which will be offered on an annual renewable contract. Competitive remuneration packages will be offered to successful candidates.
Interested applicants should apply by emailing us a copy of filled-in respective JKF Job Application Forms to: [email protected]
The Forms are available on our website: www.jkf.co.ke
Please note that the Application Forms should not be accompanied by testimonials.
The closing date for receipt of the forms is 29th September, 2011.
Persons living with HIV/AIDS, disabilities and women are encouraged to apply.