Chief of Party – NGO Job in Nairobi Kenya
Current Employee: N/A
Program / Department Summary:
Mercy Corps has been operational in Kenya since 2008, initially in response to the Post Election Violence in Rift Valley, and then expanding to a national program under USAID’s Yes Youth Can! initiative.
The REGAL-IR program will support USAID’s Feed the Future Initiative through improving resilience to drought and other shocks.
General Position Summary:
The COP will act as the key liaison between USAID/Kenya and all other counterparts, and Government of Kenya officials.
Essential Job Functions:
Strategy and Vision
- Provide strategic vision, leadership and overall responsibility for all aspects of the program’s development, implementation, and management.
- Outline and maintain a strategic plan for the implementation of program activities, including finalizing target areas/activities, methods of operation, and means of evaluation.
- Provide leadership and strategic vision in all aspects of program implementation, development and management. Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners, and aligned with Mercy Corps principles, values and strategic plan.
- Monitor adherence to grant agreement, Mercy Corps policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations. Oversee performance of consortium partners and sub-grantees.
- Conduct frequent field visits to all project sites.
- Coordinate with program and finance and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities including logistics (transport, warehousing and asset management), procurement, security, administration and human resources.
- Propose design of new local policies as needed and in accordance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations.
- Represent Mercy Corps at government, donor, NGO and other relevant events in the field, in close coordination with the Country Director.
- Coordinate activities with consortium partners, subgrantees, local government and other implementers, as well as with other Mercy Corps programs.
- Create a work atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Implement, and ensure all staff are effectively using the performance planning and management system, establishing performance expectations and regularly providing constructive feedback.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees, and ensuring that supervisory staff do the same.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its work.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security management priorities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Reports Directly To: Kenya Country Director
Works Directly With: Other Program Managers in-country, HQ Program Operations Team members, Technical Support Unit team members
Knowledge and Experience:
- MA/S or equivalent in social science, management, international development or other relevant field.
- 10-15 years of overseas experience including 5 years in a senior management position.
- Strong understanding of U.S. government compliance issues
- Prior experience as a Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing and editing.
- Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Proven experience in systems-based approaches to enhancing resilience
- Sectoral experience in pastoralist livelihoods, livestock development, conflict mitigation or natural resource management.
- Previous experience in Kenya or the Horn of Africa is preferable.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
Please apply immediately.
40 total views, 1 today