Chief Financial Officer Job At Adeso in Nairobi
Position Title: Chief Financial Officer
Reporting to:Executive Director
Working with:Regional Finance Manager, Chief Operations Officer, l Programs Director and Executive Director
Program/ Duty station: Nairobi
Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension
Starting date: Immediate
Vacancy Contact: Please send applications to email@example.com – Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Salary Range: USD 74,400-109,000 per annum plus other competitive benefits
Starting Salary: USD 74,400-82,032 per annum plus other competitive benefits
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is the senior most finance staff member of Adeso reporting to the Executive Director.
The CFO is responsible for planning, directing and controlling the overall financial functions of Adeso by ensuring financial policies and procedures are in accordance with organisational policies.
Specifically, the CFO is expected to:
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Implement continuous financial audit and control systems to monitor the performance of Adeso, its flow of funds, adherence to the budget, its expenditures, income and other budgetary items,
- Promote financial accountability and reporting through designing systems and policies which provide appropriate levels of security and control of Adeso assets, resources and operations,
- Ensure timely and quality financial reporting of the programs and organizational activities that comply with donor and institutional requirements,
- Ensure adequate cost efficiency and effectiveness measures are in place and are being followed through promoting benchmarks for determining effective resource utilization in all cost entities, Collaborate and coordinate the activities of financial service providers hired or contracted by Adeso including: auditors, financial consultants, the banking system and other financial venues
- Maintain a working relationship with donors, banks and financial institutions with the aim of securing the funds necessary to implement programs as well as ensuring that Adeso keeps in line with bank policies respectively,
- Provide strategic direction and planning for the managed growth of Adeso, including funding for enhanced benefits packages for staff,
- Develop a system for the planning, budgeting, and use of administration/overhead and income to Adeso, including effective system for tracking expenditure,
- Develop a plan for the establishment of a general fund for the organization and a secure investment portfolio (in compliance with donor regulations),
- Oversee the roll out of an advanced ERP software for the organization including offices in Africa, USA and UK,
- Develop and implement a strategy to digitize the finance department and related transactions and activities
- Work with the Executive Director in putting in place strong conflict of interest policy and measures including with the Board of Directors,
- Establish internal risk assessment, mitigation and management processes including the sub contracting of partners and service providers,
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity based analysis to provide insight into the organization’s finance operations and plans including cash requirements,
- Carry out capacity building for finance staff and senior management on financial matters and ensure quality finance staff are recruited, motivated and retained,
- Mentor and develop the finance team, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation and the building of an effective team dynamic. Working in close collaboration with the Regional Finance Manager and Finance teams.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Commerce or related field.
- Should hold professional accounting qualification-CPA/ACCA/CIMA and membership to a professional affiliation
- Strong financial management skills: ideally has worked in a senior management role for 10+ years in non profit and/or commercial – must have a minimum of 5 years experience with NGO accounting
- Experience in a senior financial management role, partnering with executive staff resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies
- Strong strategic planning and leadership skills
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis with previous experience overseeing Finance Operations
- The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas: Generally accepted accounting principles; computerized accounting programs; Accounts payable and accounts receivables; Fund accounting; Preparation of financial statements; Preparation of financial reports for profit and non-profit organizations; Administration of employee benefits; Payroll systems and reporting; An understanding of relevant organizational legislation, policies and procedures
- Other skills should include organizational development, budget and resource development,
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of Adeso
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and be part of building resilience and economic growth in Africa, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Chief Financial Officer in the email subject matter, by 7th December 2012.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager with a subject entitled Chief Financial Officer and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer
51 total views, 1 today