AVU Business Development Manager Job in Kenya
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by eight (8) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Mozambique, and Democratic Republic of Congo.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
The AVU Business Plan 2009-2014 has two main thrusts:
(a) Educational and support services provided on a fee basis; and
(b) Not-for-profit development services.
The, Not-for-profit development services, aimed at building the capacity of AVU Partner Institutions (PIs) with an objective of increasing access to quality education through the following activities:
- updating and developing content;
- Open Educational Resources (OER) Development;
- AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP);
- set-up/upgrade of ODeL centers;
- developing professional networks through Communities of Practice;
- Research and Development; and
- Quality Evaluation and Benchmarking.
The AfDB is funding a second phase of the Multinational Project which will build on the first phase and will extend its benefits to more countries.
The overall objective of the AVU Multinational Project II is to strengthen the capacity of the AVU and a network of 27 institutions to deliver and manage quality ICT integrated education and training opportunities in 21 African countries.
The project has the following activities:
(1) Establishment of new Open Distance and eLearning (ODeL) Centres and/or upgrading of existing AVU Learning Centres as well as Internet connectivity provision at AVU Partner Institutions;
(2) Development and/or improvement, and delivery of four ICT integrated Programs: AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP); Teacher Education, Computer Science, and Peace and Conflict Resolution;
(3) Gender Mainstreaming
(4) Research and Development;
(5) Promotion and development of Open Educational Resources (OERs); and (6) Enhancement of AVU Capacity.
The AVU Multinational Project II will be implemented in 27 AVU Partner Institutions in the following 22 countries: nine (9) Francophone African Countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal; four (4) Lusophone African Countries: Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau and Mozambique; and eight (9) Anglophone African Countries: Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Southern Sudan, Sudan, and Tanzania.
To successfully implement these project activities the AVU wishes to engage a Business Development Manager whose primary responsibility will be to efficiently and effectively manage all the projects and business Services.
Scope of Work
The Business Development Manager will lead the Projects and Business Services unit, will report to the Rector and will be responsible for the following activities:
- Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the AVU Business Plan 2009-2014 and responsible for the coordination of the development of the next business plan
- Write proposals to secure new not-for-profit projects
- Increase sale of existing AVU services
- Diversify AVU services’ portfolio
- Manage AVU membership and clients as well as all sale communications
- Ensure that the implementation of projects and services is well coordinated with other units such as Academic Programs, Information Technology, Finance and Administration, the AVU Multinational II project coordinating unit, as well as the AVU office in Dakar Senegal
- Manage budget, including preparation of regular cash flow forecasts and ensuring timely submission of reports and reconciliation of funds with Finance and Administration;
- Providing regular reports to Management;
- Any other task that may be requested by the Rector;
- AVU Business Plan coordinated and monitored ; the development of the new business plan well coordinated
- Implementation of projects and services well coordinated with other AVU units
- AVU partnerships well managed
- New projects secured
- Sale of AVU services increased significantly
- AVU Services diversified
- A well managed budget for all projects and services
- Regular reports provided
- University degree in Management, Business, Education or development related field
- A master Degree in Business Administration, project management or related field. A PhD qualification is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years proven record of strategic planning, business development and project management
- Proven record of proposals writing
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven record of partnerships and sales management in an multicultural international organization
- Computer skills; Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Access, MS Project, Internet skills, Proficiency in Learning Management Systems.
- Knowledge of Open, distance and eLearning is an asset
- Knowledge of and/or experience in higher education in Africa is an added advantage
- Strong writing and communications skills in English. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is and added advantage
- The officer will work full time dedicating 8 hours in a day for 5 days a week.
Reporting: The officer will work under the supervision of the AVU Rector or such other person as the client may designate from time to time in writing.
Payment: The salary will be commensurate with the qualification and experience of the successful candidate
How to Apply
The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate will be appointed on a 2 year contract (renewable).
Application must include a cover letter and detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email and residential addresses; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must have Business Development Manager as the email subject.
In case of any inquiries, these should be sent to email@example.com.
The successful candidate will be based at the AVU Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The closing date for this application is March 29th 2012 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3).
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
43 total views, 2 today