The Macroeconomic and Financial Management Institute of Eastern and Southern Africa (MEFMI) is a regionally owned institute with 13 Member Countries, currently: Angola, Botswana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Established in 1997 under an expanded mandate, MEFMI was founded with the view to building sustainable capacity in identified key areas in ministries of finance, planning commissions, central banks or equivalent institutions.
MEFMI strives to improve sustainable human and institutional capacity in the critical areas of macroeconomic and financial management; foster best practices in related institutions; and bring emergingrisks and opportunities to the fore among executive level officials.
MEFMI seeks to achieve, within its Member Countries, prudent macroeconomic management, competent and efficient management of public finances, sound, efficient and stable financial sectors and stable economies with strong and sustained growth.
The long term objective is to contribute to the poverty reduction process among people in MEFMI’s operational zone of Eastern and Southern Africa.
The MEFMI Secretariat is based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified nationals of Member Countries to fill the following position:
Reporting to the Accountant, the Assistant Accountant will carry out among others the following duties:
- Keeping track of funds received from Cooperating Partners and Member Countries
- Maintaining special accounts for Cooperating Partners
- Preparing financial statements for special accounts
- Ensuring statements of expenditure for activities are correct and captured in the accounting system
- Following up hotels and members of staff on outstanding balances from activities
- Quarterly compilation of in-kind contributions, capturing and confirming with Member Countries
- Maintaining the accounts receivable ledger for staff advances
- Receiving inventory into stores
- Preparing monthly bank reconciliation statements
- Liaising with banks on outstanding transactions
- Assisting the Accountant in posting all captured and approved transactions
- Maintaining the fuel account
- Providing information as requested by auditors during the audit period
- At least a first degree in Accounting or equivalent accounting qualification.
- A professional accounting qualification will be an added advantage
- At least five (5) years relevant experience
- At least five (5) years hands on experience with a computerised accounting system. Experience with
- Pastel will be an added advantage
- Hands on experience with word and excel
- Not more than 35 years old
The successful candidate will be appointed on a fixed term contract at an attractive remuneration package which includes a tax free salary paid in US dollars and which is competitive with other similar organisations.
Written applications, clearly stating the position of Assistant Accountant and the reference number accompanied by a detailed CV with names and addresses (including telephone, fax and e-mail) of three referees should be sent to the address below by 29 June 2012.
MEFMI is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Executive Director
MEFMI 9, Earls Road, Alexandra Park
P.O Box A1419
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
38 total views, 1 today