For the implementation of the Project ‘REINFORCING Veterinary governance in Africa’ (VET-GOV) funded by the European Union, The African Union – Interafrican Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) seeks the services of an Assistant Accountant to assist in the implementation of the project at regional level.
The project aims at improving the institutional environment at national and regional levels to provide effective and efficient animal health services in Africa.
This will be achieved through
(i) enhancement of knowledge and awareness for institutional strengthen at national and regional level for the establishment of adequate and affordable veterinary services
(ii) enhancement of capacity for livestock policy, animal health strategies and legislation formulation and
(iii) enhancement of capacity for policy implementation and regulations enforcement.
Job Title : Assistant Accountant for Regional Offices
Grade : GSA5 (Local)
Office : Departments in charge of finance at COMESA
Duty Station : Lusaka, Zambia (COMESA Secretariat)
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The position is based within the headquarters of the REC (COMESA) with possible travel to COMESA member states. Under the shared supervision of the project coordinator and the senior finance officer on IBAR side, and the IPPSD director and the finance department in COMESA, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
Finance management and accounting
· Assist in the daily financial accounting of the project
· Assist in the preparation of budgets
· Liaise with procurement
· Verify all claims submitted by contractors and projects for approval, in compliance with the terms of the relevant contracts and budgets
· Prepare payments and reimbursement claims for approval with supporting documents as required by African Union and donor standards by cheque, bank transfers or cash
· Conduct reconciliation of project bank accounts at the end of each month
· Process staff salaries, allowances, etc.
· Register all financial transactions in the accounting system and maintain accounting records according to agreed standards
· Facilitate the work of external and internal auditors.
· Provide monthly detailed and summary accounts of expenditure as per agreed formats and standards
· Provide quarterly and annual financial reports as per AU and/or donor standards and formats.
Educational Qualification Required
Candidates must have a minimum of BA Degree in Accounting, Commerce or any other related course, including a pass in English or French, mathematics and preferably in science.
CPA (II), ACCA (II) or equivalent will be an added advantage.
Work Experience Required
· Candidates must have a minimum of five years working experience, with preferably at least two years in an international environment
· Previous working experience with donor-funded projects (with European Union is added advantage) will be an added advantage.
Other Related Skills Required
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to work productively in a multicultural team
· Perform under pressure
· Willingness to work overtime
· Be highly motivated, have innovative ideas and a creative mind.
· Computer knowledge and accounting software like SAP and NAVISON is mandatory
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or several other working language(s) would be an added advantage.
Candidates should preferably between 25 and 35 years old.
Tenure of Appointment
The initial appointment will be for 11 months including a 3 months probationary period. Contract extension will be subject to performance and availability of funding.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit the following:
· A detailed and updated CV,
· Names and contact details (including e-mail addresses) of three references;
· Certified copies of degrees, diplomas and other academic certificates.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 20,337.75 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be received not later than 30 June 2012 and should be addressed to:
E-mail: email@example.com and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
56 total views, 1 today