Industry: Nonprofit / International Development / Agriculture
Function: Horticultural Innovations
Employer: One Acre Fund
Job Title: Agronomist
Job Location: Rural Kenya
Long Term Career Position
One Acre Fund is a start-up NGO in Kenya, Rwanda, and Burundi that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential.
One Acre invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income.
We provide farmers with a “market bundle” that includes education, finance, seed and fertilizer, and market access
Our program is proven impactful – every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than 100% average gain in farm income per acre.
We are growing quickly. In six years, we have grown to serve 135,000 farm families with more than 500 full-time field staff.
We are looking for an experienced, strong team-player with training in agricultural sciences, a developed ability to manage horticultural trials, and superior research skills to manage the work in horticultural innovations for One Acre Fund’s Kenya program.
- Develop and test appropriate planting techniques for One Acre Fund crops. Current crops include maize, sukuma, tree crops, and common beans, but the list could expand.
- Design proper packaging and storage of agro-materials (seed, fertilizer, chemicals)
- Design and manage nursery trials and staff. Nursery trials are for new crops, products, and varieties. These trials will often be linked closely with field and farmer-based trials.
- Investigate and develop management regimes for common pests and diseases.
- Contribute to the improvement of soil nutrition management regimes.
- Carry out field visits to farmer fields and groups for trainings, field trials, quality assurance, and troubleshooting and provide recommendations on seed issues, pest and disease treatments, agro-chemicals, soil treatment, etc.
- Build relationships with agricultural research specialists and institutions
- Research new techniques and inputs for agricultural related activities
- Liaise between research and development staff, nursery staff, and field staff
- Perform other related responsibilities, as required
Job will be based in Bungoma, Kenya and will require 20-40% travel
Salary is modest and commensurate with experience.
Job includes benefits.
Regular career reviews provide opportunities for bonuses or raises based on performance.
- Must have 3-5+ years of agricultural field work experience
- Must have a college or university degree in the agricultural sciences or a related field.
- Must have received a C+ or higher on KCSE
- Must speak fluent English, Kiswahili
- Experience working in a fast-growing company
- Experience balancing many high-priority projects
- Project management background or experience
- Strong computer and data entry skills
Career Growth and Development:
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through weekly mentorship and through regular career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about.
Location: The Agronomist will work in our Bungoma Western Region.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Starting Salary range of Ksh. 18,000 to 20,000/- with Performance Based Incentives
Benefits: NSSF and NHIF, airtime and small transportation allowances
Career development: Twice annual career reviews and constant feedback. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development.
One Acre Fund Kenya is an equal opportunity employer; both women and men of integrity are invited to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Email cover letter and resume to [email protected]
(Subject line: Agronomist + the place you heard of the position)
Application end Date is 28th May 2012 at 5pm.
Please do not apply if you do not meet our strict requirements above!
35 total views, 1 today