Accountant Job Vacancy in Nairobi Kenya
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: Fixed Term to December 2014 – Local Terms and Conditions of Employment
The purpose of this role is to ensure the financial integrity of the specific externally funded Women’s Rights and Sustainable Livelihoods (Dutch) and Public Financing for Agriculture (PFA) (Gates Foundation) projects and to provide consolidated financial plans and reports for the projects as needed within the requirements of the different donors and Project Management/Accountability teams.
Formally you should have a degree level (or higher) accounting or financial management qualification coupled with a proven track record in project accounting for multi-country projects and experience of using SUN Accounts and Vision Executive and Vision Excel.
You need to be able to travel to the project countries and other international destinations as and when determined by the Project Managers/Coordinators and International Project Accountability team.
On a personal level, you will be actively committed to and living the values of ActionAid International.
Key Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
- To establish international project finance systems for both projects that will enable meeting both donors’ requirements and integrate into existing AA systems.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports in line with narrative reports that meet the requirements of the Dutch Government and Gates Foundation
- Prepare quarterly consolidated financial reports, and ad hoc financial reports, as required by the Project Managers and/or International Project Accountability Teams (IPAT)
- Submit quarterly reports to the International Accounts Manager responsible for oversight to ensure adherence to international finance and donor requirements.
- To ensure that project cash flows (income, expenditure and fund transfers) are managed in a timely and accurate manner
- To ensure that any interest accrued by the project is tracked and returned to the donor/s if required
- To provide guidance to the International Project Managers and country programmes implementing the project on how to manage exchange rate fluctuations
- To develop, in conjunction with country project teams, financial performance measures relevant to the objectives, investments and donor requirements of the project
- Provide ongoing financial risk analysis and recommendations of risk management strategies
- Support project managers with project narratives in relation to expenditure and financial risks
- Facilitate internal and external audit processes in relation to the project and ensure audit requirements are monitored throughout the project
- Work with the project manager and IPAT to ensure that audit recommendations are fulfilled
- Support International Project Managers to ensure archiving of the project documentation for audit at all levels of the project
- To support country programmes to fulfil the requirements for internal and external audit
- To support the International Project Managers in the use of the financial analysis for sound project management.
- Work closely with the International Project Managers to monitor the budget utilisation and communicate any issues upwards from partners and country programmes
- Develop tools for and run financial aspects of inception workshop in co-ordination with international project managers and donor co-ordinators
- Ensure that all participating countries set up project finance systems that are integrated into AA systems and capable of meeting donor requirements
- Ensure any international partners to the project understand the financial requirements of the project and have systems that can meet these
- To develop and share with finance staff and International Project Managers in the implementing country programmes a quarterly reporting format and schedule that ensure timely and accurate reporting in the format stipulated in the donor contracts.
- To work with the in-country project managers and finance teams to establish systems that support accurate and timely project financial reporting, facilitate financial management analysis and that are integrated into overall project management.
- To review the information provided by the country programmes for financial integrity and for financial analysis
- Provide information and training to countries so that the financial aspects of the contractual requirements of the project and ActionAid International’s Financial Management Framework are met
- To advise participating countries, and their partners as required, on donor specific financial rules and regulations and support countries to meet these especially in relation to bank account rules; procurement rules; interest rules and any other rules that are not currently specified
- Experience of leading on financial aspects of multi-country donor contract management and providing advice on complex financial management
- Experience developing financial operational systems and schedules
- Excellent financial management and administration skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English
- Proven ability to prioritise in a demanding environment, multiple accountabilities, and to tight deadlines
- Strong analytical, financial reporting, and presentation skills with the ability to present complex issues clearly and concisely
- Proven ability to work in an accountable and flexible way in an international organisation
- Experience of delivering participative training to INGO and local partner staff
- Experience of financial capacity building
- Experienced in using accounting software appropriate for a large international organisation
- Advanced Excel skills
- A strong commitment to ActionAid’s values
- Ability to travel to the project countries and other international destinations as and when determined by the Project Managers/Coordinators and International Project Accountability team.
- A proven track record in project accounting for multi-country projects
- Experience of using SUN Accounts and Vision Executive and Vision Excel.
Further information on this position can be obtained from theattached job description.
Applications should be sent with your CV, motivation cover letter and two names of your nominated referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than the 8th of June 2012.
While we value all applications, we can only respond to short listed candidates.
ActionAid International warmly welcomes applications from all sections of the community, but we aim to promote diversity by encouraging women and people living with disability to apply. Preference will be given to candidates who are Kenyan Nationals.
43 total views, 2 today